What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #42118 by Isamorph

dst11 wrote: It was the FreeUp SIM from eBay. When I inserted the ATT SIM from the Tracfone SIM kit I got at Target, the 'No SIM card' message went away. I'll contact the eBay seller. BTW, I tried putting tape on top of the FU SIM. It went in: 'No SIM card'.

Better to know the sim card is the culprit rather than the phone. I think it's probable that you and/or your cousin damaged the sim card, but maybe the seller will provide a new one since it's possible the sim was defective from the beginning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago - 3 months 4 weeks ago #42156 by Isamorph

dst11 wrote: It was the FreeUp SIM from eBay. When I inserted the ATT SIM from the Tracfone SIM kit I got at Target, the 'No SIM card' message went away. I'll contact the eBay seller. BTW, I tried putting tape on top of the FU SIM. It went in: 'No SIM card'.

@ dst11 --Let us know if you were able to get a new sim and get that beastly phone fired up.:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #42159 by dst11
Yes, no problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #42183 by dst11
I called [Friday] FreeUp's customer service 888 number. After some brief troubleshooting, the rep said she escalated the matter to technical support and told me to call back in 24-48 hours. I called today [Saturday] and the rep said they'll mail me a replacement SIM and that it will arrive in 4-5 business days. Also, to call them when the replacement SIM arrives and ask them to update the SIM in my account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #42361 by dst11
SUCCESS!

I got the replacement SIM on Saturday. I put it today in the phone:

No 'No SIM card' error. So, I called FU to replace the old SIM with this. The guy asked for the long SIM # and the phone's IMEI and did it.

So, I tried to make a call. No dice! I rebooted, tried again, call went through fine. Now I hope FU doesn't kick me out of the Free plan! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle, realLexusl21, SuccessOne

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #42372 by dst11
My Free plan's monthly term ends on December 31. How does renewal work? How soon can I renew? The link/text is not clickable at this point. BTW, I see a warning that I don't have a default payment method. Do I have to have one? In the payment methods, the Credit Card I used during the sign-up process is there.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #42374 by mmfacemm
A week before the end of your month a pop up appears and you can renew by clicking renew free plan. It won't show up just yet since you are a couple of weeks away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gethome, dst11

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #42375 by dst11
Thank you. 1 week is pretty good.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #42377 by Gethome

mmfacemm wrote: A week before the end of your month a pop up appears and you can renew by clicking renew free plan. It won't show up just yet since you are a couple of weeks away.

I switched over to the free plan on the 11th of this month. Just to clarify, is it required that we click on a "renewal link" each month to keep it going? If so, it seems like the window opens about a week before it expires, is there some grace period after the expiry day?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #42378 by Isamorph

Gethome wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: A week before the end of your month a pop up appears and you can renew by clicking renew free plan. It won't show up just yet since you are a couple of weeks away.

I switched over to the free plan on the 11th of this month. Just to clarify, is it required that we click on a "renewal link" each month to keep it going? If so, it seems like the window opens about a week before it expires, is there some grace period after the expiry day?

I don't remember any report by a member on this forum stating they had failed to renew before the expiry date and lost their account or were able to keep it after renewing after the expiry date. So being in the dark about the matter I wouldn't want to be the first who tried to renew after the expiry date.

Yes, one must log in to renew each month about a week prior to the expiration date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Gethome, dst11