What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
4 months 5 hours ago #42008 by dst11

KentE wrote: great idea on the swiveling SIM card holder, but I don't think it does.
Tutorial here, with some animation:
www.verizonwireless.com/support/sonim-xp5/simulator/#FEATURE_DEVICE_VIEWS_SIM

That's a GREAT animation you found KentE. I never came across it before. Step 4 says to insert the micro SIM:

"With the gold contacts facing the front of the phone, insert or remove the micro SIM card from its slot while pushing down the gray stopper.The indicator is in the top left of the screen. Note: A micro SIM card may already be inserted in your phone."

Oh boy. It's not the nano SIM, but it's not the full SIM either. What a mess.

PS. There is no SD card in there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
4 months 4 hours ago #42009 by dst11

Isamorph wrote: If you can see the part of the top surface of the nano sim and it's the paper( maybe plastic) or non-metal surface(the metal surface shouldn't be touched or messed with) you could try using something like a sewing needle or something similar(toothpick as mentioned) with a small sharp point and gently apply pressure with it and gently and slowly drag or ease it out and, if successful, you can then put the nano back in the larger piece from which it popped out and insert it properly.

Yes, it's the non-metal part that is facing up. I'll try that.

Take a look at the simulator tutorial KentE posted for a better idea of how to do it, particularly the part about pushing the gray stopper.

gray stopper? is that the top of the SIM card?

More
4 months 4 hours ago - 4 months 4 hours ago #42010 by Isamorph
If you got the 3 in 0ne sim card as you mentioned, you have all three--nano, micro, and standard---sizes of sim cards in your possession. The standard is the whole piece and the micro is the next largest piece with the standard surrounding casing removed, while the nano is the smallest with the surrounding casing of the micro removed. It like a puzzle with 3 pieces of different sizes. I'm not sure what the Gray stopper is from the pictures, but you can probably see what part it is since you have the phone right before you. The stopper is not the surface of the sim card.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
4 months 4 hours ago - 4 months 4 hours ago #42011 by dst11

redrotors wrote: I think you are right KentE, nice find. From that tutorial seems this may be key "while pushing down the gray stopper". Don't know if that is causing difficulties, if so a toothpick or bread bag tie (the split plastic, not wire type) may help.

what do you think "the gray stopper" refers to?

Maybe just need to recruit a 12 year old ;)

Yes, this may be a job for my nephew!

More
4 months 4 hours ago #42012 by Isamorph
Not sure, but the gray stopper could be the sort of capital I shaped piece that the sim card goes under.

More
4 months 4 hours ago #42013 by KentE
I'm not much good with color, but....

I think the grey stopper may be just behind the SIM in the picture (below and to the right of the SIM), the small tab in the recess in the pan. It's to stop the SIM from sliding out of the holder. When installing the SIM, you might need to apply slight downward pressure on the top of the SIM as it passes over that bar to keep it depressed, as it would tend to raise the SIM above the metal SIM guard/holder. (Not the best design, since the metallic traces would be scraping over that bar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
4 months 4 hours ago #42014 by dst11

Isamorph wrote: I'm not sure what the Gray stopper is from the pictures, but you can probably see what part it is since you have the phone right before you. The stopper is not the surface of the sim card.

Oh maybe it refers to the floor of the SIM card slot. This way (pressed down) the floor doesn't push the SIM card up and above the bar that sits on top of the SIM card slot. There is something like a latch on the floor of the SIM card slot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
4 months 4 hours ago #42015 by Isamorph
I think you're right KentE. I didn't see that in the video simulation. Everything does look a little gray.

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
4 months 4 hours ago #42016 by dst11

KentE wrote: I'm not much good with color, but....I think the grey stopper may be just behind the SIM in the picture (below and to the right of the SIM), the small tab in the recess in the pan. It's to stop the SIM from sliding out of the holder. When installing the SIM, you might need to apply slight downward pressure on the top of the SIM as it passes over that bar to keep it depressed, as it would tend to raise the SIM above the metal SIM guard/holder. (Not the best design, since the metallic traces would be scraping over that bar.

Yes, thank you.

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
4 months 4 hours ago - 4 months 4 hours ago #42017 by dst11

Isamorph wrote: I think you're right KentE. I didn't see that in the video simulation. Everything does look a little gray.

I'm sick and tired of the drive to keep making things smaller and smaller. It keeps making things more and more difficult. For me! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph