What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41974 by peterquinn
I second KentE -- IIRC, I first logged into my account and then activated the sim card.

But I had purchased the sim card from FUp, not on eBay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41975 by dst11
Oh, I have tried. I have tried every possible combination I could think. Logged in, logged out, with IMEI, without IMEI, firefox, chrome, incognito, non-incognito...

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #41976 by dst11
Could FreeUp have stopped accepting FreeUp SIM cards sold by others? My SIM card is a FreeUp SIM card but from www.ebay.com/itm/174100239390 .

Could the FreeUp SIM card be bad? I'll ask the eBay seller too.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #41982 by Isamorph

dst11 wrote: Could the FreeUp SIM card be bad? I'll ask the eBay seller too.

Good idea to contact the seller. I did look at reviews on the seller's ebay site and it looks as if people who purchased the FreeUp Sim in the past month had positive reviews of it, assuming they were legit buyers. You could try contacting FU by phone if that's still possible, or even by email. With FU, anything is possible.

www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/go2socks?filter=feedback_page:All

Call 1-888-316-0686 / 1-469-281-2080

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41983 by dst11
BTW, here's the listing for the Sonim XP5 I got: www.ebay.com/itm/183885590955 .

The phone feels like a metal brick. It's not heavy but it feels very very sturdy. The listing said 'Fair Condition' but the screen looks new. I can see a little wear on the back cover. The seller replied quickly to all my messages.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41986 by KentE
That is a great looking phone! Nice labeling on the pics to indicate all the button functions and locations. Even the battery looks no-nonsense.

It's hard for me to believe the ebay seller for the FreeUP SIM isn't legit. FreeUP SIMs had pretty much dried up via 3rd party for a while, and now they're back from a couple of sources-- it seems likely with the blessing of FreeUP.

I think I'd reach out to FreeUP to see if they can help. Phone might be the quickest/easiest, 888-316-0686 or 469-281-2080.
If you prefer email, submit the form at www.freeupmobile.com/support/contact-us

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41987 by dst11
Son of a gun! It worked!

When I got back to my desk and just as I was ready to send a message to the seller. I thought why don't I try one last time. Well, I logged in my FU account and saw a link saying something like 'You haven't picked a plan, wanna pick one?' I followed it, I selected the free plan, and it showed my cart with no added SIM like before, and a checkout/credit card info form. I filled it up, submitted it, and it went through fine. Afterwards it asked for my SIM activation number, if I wanted a new number and for my zip code. I put them in and it gave me a number. I thought it would be more difficult based on my initial tries a few hours before.

Now I must insert the SIM into SIM holder. I tried today and the phone kept saying 'no SIM'. I'll do that tomorrow. It's too dark now!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41990 by dst11
Oh boy, inserting the SIM card is a pain in the a**. Here's a photo of the inside of the XP5's back compartment from Verizon's website :

The SIM card holder is the lower "pocket". The upper is the SD card holder. I gave it to my cousin to try and he may have destroyed the SIM card because somehow he removed the nano-SIM portion of the SIM:

He didn't use any tools, scissors/knife, so I don't know how he did it! He says it was already cut and it came out just by touch. Possible? Repairable? Oh well. I may have to order a new SIM card!

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41991 by drysun
If it's a 3-in-1 SIM, they are meant to pop out with a little pressure/push, no tools needed as they are pre-cut. You should be able to pop the nano back into the larger sizes. I usually put it on a flat surface when I push it back in and then gently insert into the phone's SIM slot if it requires something larger than a nano. Try holding it by the sides, not the flat sides where pressure can be accidentally applied and pop it out of the size adapters.

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #41992 by dst11
Thanks. I'll try it. Yes, it was a 3-in-1: www.ebay.com/itm/174100239390 .