What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #42398 by joeuser
I suspect Free Up suspended new free plans due to the surge of users jumping ship with Tello's Pay as You Go plan rule changes.
Free Up has been really good about allowing current users to stay with their free plan, regardless of the current free plan offering.
The rewards program showed again how FreeUp stayed true to their word and all users were credited with their rewards.
I believe Free Up benefited by the rewards program, just as users benefited with rewards. They're probably trying to secure a new rewards program so both users and Free Up can benefit from the free plan. For this reason, it makes sense why Free Up continues with the free plans even though there's no obvious benefit for them at this moment. If they can come up with a new rewards program, they'll already have a solid user base who've received many months of free service and likely willing to try the new rewards program.

Another thing to keep in mind, if they're working with companies to develop a new rewards program, being able to show a real user base of free users is worth something. They can show perspective companies they're coming to the table with an established user base not starting from scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph, LouP, Diedrich_Duo, dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #42399 by KentE
scriptninja, thanks for saving me a lot of typing! :)

Plus, 1GB (or more) per month on the preloaded SIM is enough data for a lot of folks to do something with. Now that the free plans are down to 200 mb (250mb with 10 friends), it takes someone being very aware to get much use out of it without either running out of data, or hitting overages. $3-$5/mo is more manageable for most folks than that set of issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, dst11

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #42409 by RoadRanger
I didn't "renew" the last couple of months and it autorenews anyways :-O And no, you don't need a payment method.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gethome, dst11

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #42572 by RoadRanger
I just swapped my SIM into an AT&T Go Flip 2 (Alcatel flip phone w/ LTE) and it's working fine. I got it from eBay for $15 shipped (used). A big step up from my P.O.S. Pieces flip phone (3G). It appears to be using a cut-down version of Android called KaiOs so it feels somewhat Android-like. KaiOS even has an app store but it's disabled in this phone :( .

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #42573 by KentE
I've been curious about KaiOs. I wish yours had access to the app store, so you could fill us in about it.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #42575 by Isamorph
My $2 Alcatel AT&T Flip phone running on FreeUp does alright with KaiOS, which is good for detoxing.

www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-kaios-mobile-os/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #42583 by RoadRanger
FYI here's a constantly updated (abet poorly organized) list of KaiOs apps:
www.kaiostech.com/meet-the-apps-available-on-kaios/

The new SmartFlip phone does have the app store, available for $29 at Best Buy
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph