What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

More
2 months 1 week ago #42379 by KentE

Gethome wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: A week before the end of your month a pop up appears and you can renew by clicking renew free plan. It won't show up just yet since you are a couple of weeks away.

I switched over to the free plan on the 11th of this month. Just to clarify, is it required that we click on a "renewal link" each month to keep it going? If so, it seems like the window opens about a week before it expires, is there some grace period after the expiry day?

Officially, it's required and there is no grace period mentioned.

Unofficially: several users have reported that their free plan renewed despite taking no action, and at least in one case for several months running. Users have also reported an unofficial grace period if something goes wrong with your renewal and you call and talk to customer service.

My intention is to not take chances, and to renew my plan manually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, mmfacemm, Gethome, Diedrich_Duo, st3fx, dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 days ago #42383 by Diedrich_Duo

KentE wrote: My intention is to not take chances, and to renew my plan manually.

Indeed. Better safe than sorry!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gethome, st3fx, dst11

More
2 months 6 days ago #42387 by tech-stitch
Agreed, I have always had to renew my free plan online. I just have a recurring reminder every month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gethome, Diedrich_Duo, st3fx, dst11

More
2 months 6 days ago - 2 months 6 days ago #42388 by scriptninja

Isamorph wrote:

Gethome wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: A week before the end of your month a pop up appears and you can renew by clicking renew free plan. It won't show up just yet since you are a couple of weeks away.

I switched over to the free plan on the 11th of this month. Just to clarify, is it required that we click on a "renewal link" each month to keep it going? If so, it seems like the window opens about a week before it expires, is there some grace period after the expiry day?

I don't remember any report by a member on this forum stating they had failed to renew before the expiry date and lost their account or were able to keep it after renewing after the expiry date. So being in the dark about the matter I wouldn't want to be the first who tried to renew after the expiry date.

Yes, one must log in to renew each month about a week prior to the expiration date.

This is anecdotal (of course), might actually be my memory failing, and is not something I'd recommend relying on anyway, especially since I think there might be something weird about my account status (I have no addons available, apparently could only add credit by buying a refill card because no other means of payment seem to be usable, and have what I think is a second non-existent device halfway through the activation process)...but I'm almost positive that I have missed the "renewal" window at least one month and my free plan just kept going without my intervention. In other words, I am now one of the first category of iffy cases mentioned above.

I'll check again around the new year and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Gethome, Diedrich_Duo, st3fx, dst11

More
2 months 6 days ago #42390 by st3fx
I am also fairly certain I have neglected to manually renew free plan and it's still active (500 talk/text + 100mb). That said, unless FU launches a new rewards program I don't see how it makes any sense for them to not discontinue even the grandfathered free plans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Gethome, Diedrich_Duo, tech-stitch, dst11

More
2 months 6 days ago #42391 by Isamorph

st3fx wrote: I am also fairly certain I have neglected to manually renew free plan and it's still active (500 talk/text + 100mb). That said, unless FU launches a new rewards program I don't see how it makes any sense for them to not discontinue even the grandfathered free plans.

Agreed. To speculate, FU's plan from the get-go was to have many people sign up for the free plan and once they saw how easy it was to earn $7/$15 a month via the rewards program with which to fully or partially pay for a pain plan, many would upgrade to a paid plan. But I doubt FU correctly predicted the huge number of people who would get a free plan and earn rewards but never upgrade to a paid plan. I also suspect that FU didn't really understand its contract with billaway.com and thus its inability to have control over the rewards program, which ended, as we know, not well as one party pulled the plug on the program. Given FU's reasonable prices for their global plans, it might survive, but there is no good reason now to offer or keep Free plans active and as has been mentioned the F in FU needs to be removed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gethome, Diedrich_Duo, dst11

More
2 months 6 days ago #42392 by KentE

st3fx wrote: I am also fairly certain I have neglected to manually renew free plan and it's still active (500 talk/text + 100mb). That said, unless FU launches a new rewards program I don't see how it makes any sense for them to not discontinue even the grandfathered free plans.

Other than the hope that those of us on the free plan realize that the paid plans are still worth recommending to friends. (And I think they are, for those with high talk/text needs, and international calling.)

As an example, I use the FreedomPop free plan. I've recommended the preloaded SIMs to a range of friends, while I wouldn't recommend the free plan to most.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo, dst11

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 6 days ago #42395 by dst11

st3fx wrote: That said, unless FU launches a new rewards program I don't see how it makes any sense for them to not discontinue even the grandfathered free plans.

Unfortunately, yes,. Otherwise I see them pulling a Tello, or worse pulling a RingPlus.

Maybe their revenue from paid plans can subsidize free plans but that sounds more like wishful thinking!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 months 6 days ago #42396 by dst11

KentE wrote: As an example, I use the FreedomPop free plan. I've recommended the preloaded SIMs to a range of friends, while I wouldn't recommend the free plan to most.

Is the reason the call quality of FP's free plan?

More
2 months 6 days ago - 2 months 6 days ago #42397 by scriptninja

dst11 wrote:

KentE wrote: As an example, I use the FreedomPop free plan. I've recommended the preloaded SIMs to a range of friends, while I wouldn't recommend the free plan to most.

Is the reason the call quality of FP's free plan?

I don't know if this is KentE's reason, but I know I've come across some folks who consider the preloaded sims a decent deal but stay away from the free plans because the preloads can be activated and used without adding a payment method to your account, making it harder for you to get charged for things you didn't mean to enable (or the one-cent-a-month fee they've had at times that essentially seemed to be what they charged for the service of making sure they could still charge you if you incurred charges).
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, dst11