What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #41778 by dst11

KentE wrote: dst11, if you end up getting one, would you drop back by and give us a report on the Sonim? No reports here, and few elsewhere, from Sonim users. There have been some pretty big fans of the Dura series of ruggedized phones here, but most of those were sprint-only, and will no longer activate on Sprint. Some of those fans must be looking for a new(er) similar device.

Yes, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 weeks 2 hours ago - 2 weeks 2 hours ago #41827 by dst11

KentE wrote: No reports here, and few elsewhere, from Sonim users. There have been some pretty big fans of the Dura series of ruggedized phones here, but most of those were sprint-only, and will no longer activate on Sprint.

A couple Dura phones I saw that will work on ATT is the DuraForce and the DuraXE. They seem more expensive than the XP5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph

More
2 weeks 1 hour ago - 2 weeks 1 hour ago #41829 by Isamorph

dst11 wrote:

KentE wrote: No reports here, and few elsewhere, from Sonim users. There have been some pretty big fans of the Dura series of ruggedized phones here, but most of those were sprint-only, and will no longer activate on Sprint.

A couple Dura phones I saw that will work on ATT is the DuraForce and the DuraXE. They seem more expensive than the XP5.

There are some used inexpensive KyoceraDura 4G AT&T phones on Ebay that are military grade rugged. $35+

www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-DuraForce-16GB-Black-AT-T-Android-4G-LTE-8MP-WiFi-Smartphone-B/174033996985?_trkparms

www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-DuraForce-E6560-AT-T-16GB-GSM-4G-LTE-Military-Grade-Smartphone-8MP/143331043925?epid

www.amazon.com/Kyocera-DuraForce-E6560-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B010TLVPDK
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, dst11

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
1 week 6 days ago #41831 by dst11
The battery in the DuraForce and the DuraForce Pro (and the Pro 2 ) are not user replaceable. Only the battery in the DuraForce XD is user replaceable.

www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Kyocera-DuraForce,Kyocera-DuraForce-Pro,Kyocera-DuraForce-XD/phones/8995,10204,9852
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
1 week 6 days ago #41836 by dst11
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph

More
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #41838 by Isamorph
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, dst11

More
1 week 6 days ago #41841 by johnsmith

Isamorph wrote: a phone that would serve anyone well during the coming Apocolypse: :)

Zombie Apocalypse or boring regular kind?

More
1 week 6 days ago #41845 by Isamorph

johnsmith wrote:

Isamorph wrote: a phone that would serve anyone well during the coming Apocolypse: :)

Zombie Apocalypse or boring regular kind?

Who knows? But I would suggest an Apocalypse that does away with all species of Zombies, imaginary and boring included.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnsmith

• dst11
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
1 week 5 days ago #41856 by dst11

Isamorph wrote: Looking at the Duraforce XD it appears you have zeroed in on possibly the creme de la creme of beastly phones for kludgy folks, a phone that would serve anyone well during the coming Apocolypse: :) But, alas, it's not a flip-phone.

Yes, the XD looks good. I got a $28 XP5 and a $8 FreeUp SIM (I haven't gotten my hands on them yet!). And in 2 years we'll see ( XP5s ?, XD?, something else?). The XD's big un-flipable screen scares me... The XP5 seems more of a brick!

More
1 week 5 days ago #41858 by Isamorph
In two years, maybe the Tesla MMXXII Bulletproof Eternity phone, which never needs to be charged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, dst11