FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!

More
1 week 5 days ago #41481 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
I've been trying without success to get the FU folks to help me make my FU line work such that I can use it as a forwarding number for home (GV) when I am out & about...for a number of days already - without success.
(Maybe it is also affected by some sort of language barrier like with their phone folks ??)

No matter what I ask or what they've done, their service defeats the GV VM by picking up too soon (1 ring or less).

I had to disable the FU line at GV because of this - which makes FU pretty much useless for me as my AT&T based provider.
(I can now see why folks here have chosen to use it as a glovebox only phone service !!)

Here is their most recent ticket response to my request:

Support (FreeUP Mobile)

Oct 31, 12:04 PDT
I am sorry, there is not a way for the service to just ring and then if not answered do nothing/play nothing.
It either has a voicemail not setup, your voicemail message, or the "The person you are trying to reach is not available", in the case of no voicemail.

At any event - after wasting loads of time & efforts on this project, I will merely use it if there is a dire need to make a call someplace that has zero other coverage - until the Red Pocket specials may appear, then it will become irrelevant.

If I was doing this as an initial test to see if their service was suitable to use as a paid service vs. Red Pocket, it would be a very solid failure for FU just due to the hassles involved (and of course Red Pocket on special also costs less anyhow).

Perhaps it will get better over time, but most likely by then this user will have replaced them with Red Pocket (and zero hassles).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #41482 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!
I am not 100% sure, but I think you can resolve issue with carrier voicemail picking up if you enable "Call Screening" in Google Voice.

More
1 week 5 days ago #41483 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Interesting idea...uncertain if that would aggravate folks calling who are used to just getting through.

Seems to me that there have been conflicting reports about this VM stuff with FU here...
I thought I read how 1 or 2 folks were able to have them do SOMETHING such that the GV VM worked OK, but as posted above, they now claim it is just not possible ?!?

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #41485 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!
FWIW---on my FreeUp paid plan phone, I never set up FU VM and I have been using GV app on the phone while having all calls forwarded to my GV number. GV has always picked up my VM with no interference, as far as I can tell, from FU VM. You can call your GV number from another phone and leave a voicemail to see if it works ok without doing anything concerning FU VM. Oh, and mine works ok without call screening enabled.

Edit: reread your--E_Z's--original post and it looks like you've already done the above without success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
1 week 5 days ago #41486 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!
My experience: I do fine with FreeUP and Google Voice, with GV as my contact #, forwarded to FU.
Regardless of your carrier, I've found it necessary to turn off call forwarding to any phone that is not powered on-- voicemail or "not available right now" will intercept.

I do not have FreeUP voicemail disabled. I was under the belief that some had managed it through customer service.. On my phone, it's a game of who rings first-- my phone may only ring once at times, although apparently having rung AT&T's system the 4 times necessary for voicemail to pick up. I'm in the habit of checking for carrier voicemail on the phone, as well as GV voicemail, so I just find it wherever it is. (I just remember to check it before putting the phone away or changing phones......)

I've read about convoluted setups forwarding in loops, or to a non-answering number (from the native #) to prevent voicemail from picking up. (But I think it requires that the carrier support conditional forwarding.) I've never been desperate enough to decipher the process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
1 week 5 days ago #41487 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks for your responses Isamorph & KentE !!
As of now I didn't register the phone I'm using for FU with the gmail used for the house number...yet, so no GV app in use there...again, yet - maybe I'll do that soon as it seems like a way to resolve this more easily.
(Though with zero data it may only work via wifi...is that right ??)

As to the rest - even with the phone powered on GV VM didn't catch it before their silliness did - and worst of all I keep cellular phones powered off when at home, so that will really cause problems with forwarding to FU most of the time.

Again though, no such problems when using Red Pocket as they shut their VM right off for me without any hassles whatsoever !!

More
1 week 5 days ago #41488 by RoadRanger
Replied by RoadRanger on topic FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!
Note that even with VM removed it will pick up with some sort of message if you call the number directly BUT that doesn't bother GV. Try it and see :) .

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #41489 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks RoadRanger.
I have tried it multiple times & it didn't go to GV, sadly.
(A couple of folks panicked when they called my house number & got that recording after 1 ring too.)

More
1 week 5 days ago #41490 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!
Et_Z, there's been a prior discussion about this in an older thread:
www.nthcircle.com/forum/freeup/2336-freeup-turn-off-voicemail?start=10#34763

I'm linking to the middle of that thread, to a comment from LouP, that I thought was especially interesting. It's probably worth reading through the entire thread to see if any of the solutions work for you.
If something does, let us know!

More
1 week 5 days ago #41492 by RoadRanger
Replied by RoadRanger on topic FU 'support' ?? LOLz !!!
My wife has Total Wireless and this worked to get GV happy :) dunno if it will work with FU :
*71[10-digit Google Voice Number]
*90[10-digit Google Voice Number]
*92[10-digit Google Voice Number]
They are all conditional call forwarding for different scenarios. One is if you reject a call, another one is an unanswered call, and I think another is if you are already on a call (but I could be mistaken about this one).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1