Porting to FreeUp

More
8 months 1 week ago #35838 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Porting to FreeUp
Seriously, once you spend a little while to understand/figure out the settings, this is pretty easy and straightforward in use.
Calling, both inbound and outbound, is transparent & takes no effort or special procedure..
Texting is what catches me sometimes, when I forget to use the GV app for outbound texts & use the native app instead-- if you do that, the other person sees the text as coming from an unknown (to them) number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Frasier1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #35871 by Frasier1
Replied by Frasier1 on topic Porting to FreeUp
Thanks for the help folks! One other question, does any part of using Google Voice require data? (like Hangouts does)
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

More
8 months 1 week ago #35872 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Porting to FreeUp

Frasier1 wrote: Thanks for the help folks! One other question, does any part of using Google Voice require data? (like Hangouts does)

Yes. GV requires tiny bits of data to place the first phone call you make to a specific number, in order to create a 'spoofed' number that GV actually uses. (This is completely invisible to you, other than seeing that number in some incoming texts......)
I believe GV also uses data for texting.

No data is used for voice-- that uses your native cellular plan. (but see note below)

Unfortunately, I just changed my data SIM today, or I would share my GV data use for the last month. I made a few phone calls today (maybe 15 minutes?), and sent 5 texts, and GV used 11.2 kb of data.

(Note: GV now allows calling via WiFi or cellular data if you prefer and allow it in settings. It's not a requirement to do so.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1, st3fx

More
8 months 1 week ago #35873 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic Porting to FreeUp

Frasier1 wrote: Thanks for the help folks! One other question, does any part of using Google Voice require data? (like Hangouts does)

Yes (either Wifi or cellular data).

You can restrict GV calls to carrier voice only, but a small amount of data is used to initiate each outgoing call.

In-app voicemail and messaging use data.

You can receive native SMS notifications of GV voicemail messages.

It is possible to use native messaging app for GV SMS. The way this works is your "contact" is assigned a number for GV that is different than their actual number, but on their end everything looks normal.

See: Forward text messages or voicemail: support.google.com/voice/answer/9182115?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
8 months 1 week ago #35907 by Frasier1
Replied by Frasier1 on topic Porting to FreeUp
Thanks to everyone for your help. I was able to port my number from Red Pocket to Google Voice. It took 24 hours and cost 20 bucks but now my number is safe. I now use a FreeUP sim with the 10 dollar plan (which I get for free by printing coupons) and everything seems to be working fine. Calls, texts, MMS, data, voicemail etc. I was able to integrate my phone dialer with Google voice and I'm glad because the regular phone dialer has a dark theme I like but the Google Voice Dialer is blindingly white! However I can't get Textra to be default for my Google voice SMS app without some very involved work arounds, so I'm using the Google Voice app for SMS and hoping they will eventually add a dark theme for it and allow you to increase the font (59 year old eyes don't work like they use to)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Gethome, st3fx

More
8 months 1 week ago #35908 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Porting to FreeUp

Frasier1 wrote: Thanks to everyone for your help. I was able to port my number from Red Pocket to Google Voice. It took 24 hours and cost 20 bucks but now my number is safe. I now use a FreeUP sim with the 10 dollar plan (which I get for free by printing coupons) and everything seems to be working fine. Calls, texts, MMS, data, voicemail etc. I was able to integrate my phone dialer with Google voice and I'm glad because the regular phone dialer has a dark theme I like but the Google Voice Dialer is blindingly white! However I can't get Textra to be default for my Google voice SMS app without some very involved work arounds, so I'm using the Google Voice app for SMS and hoping they will eventually add a dark theme for it and allow you to increase the font (59 year old eyes don't work like they use to)

Glad it was a smooth transition for you. You might take a look at the Google "Messages" app for SMS, which to my eyes has a beautiful dark theme as an option.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

support.google.com/messages/answer/7611075?p=web_computer&visit_id=636891663646857316-858354771&rd=1

messages.android.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
1 week 2 days ago #41905 by dst11
Replied by dst11 on topic Porting to FreeUp

Chelle wrote: Never entrust your "real" phone number to a company that can disappear at any time.

I would suggest porting your number to Google Voice and then integrate it with whatever random number that FreeUp has given you.

If they ever disappear you can quickly and easily get another phone with another company with another random phone number and install Google Voice on that one, too.

Quick, easy, and painless.

I'm about to start FreeUp so I was reading FreeUp threads. Can someone please explain what does "integrate" mean here? Does it mean 'tell GV to ring it up'?

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #41907 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Porting to FreeUp

dst11 wrote:

Chelle wrote: Never entrust your "real" phone number to a company that can disappear at any time.

I would suggest porting your number to Google Voice and then integrate it with whatever random number that FreeUp has given you.

If they ever disappear you can quickly and easily get another phone with another company with another random phone number and install Google Voice on that one, too.

Quick, easy, and painless.

I'm about to start FreeUp so I was reading FreeUp threads. Can someone please explain what does "integrate" mean here? Does it mean 'tell GV to ring it up'?

Yes.
Integrate means to have all calls to your GV # forwarded to the number FreeUp gives you so that if FU should go belly-up you will not have to worry about porting your number out or losing your number because your GV # will not be affected in any way and will always remain in your Google account. Having a Google voice number is like having an answering service person who answers all calls to your GV# number and then calls you or transfers the call to whatever phone with whatever number you currently have in your possession. When someone calls your GV #, you could, if you had 4 phones with different numbers supplied by different MVNOs , set it up so that GV would send the call to and ring all 4 phones simultaneously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

More
1 week 2 days ago #41908 by dst11
Replied by dst11 on topic Porting to FreeUp

Isamorph wrote: Yes.
Integrate means to have all calls to your GV # forwarded to the number FreeUp gives you so that if FU should go belly-up you will not have to worry about porting your number out or losing your number because your GV # will not be affected in any way and will always remain in your Google account. Having a Google voice number is like having an answering service person who answers all calls to your GV# number and then calls you or transfers the call to whatever phone with whatever number you currently have in your possession. When someone calls your GV #, you could, if you had 4 phones with different numbers supplied by different MVNOs , set it up so that GV would send the call to and ring all 4 phones simultaneously.

Thank you Isamorph!