• LouP
  • LouP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #34687 by LouP
Replied by LouP on topic Landline Replacement

st3fx wrote:

Isamorph wrote: @LouP----That's a nice method, and nice to know that it works with a FU sim. I wonder if it would also work with other AT&T MNVO sims. The $10 unlimited t&t FU plan would be nice on the device, too. And at about $18 it's a great deal. Did yours come unlocked, or does it have to be unlocked in order to use it as you have done.

I had a similar idea with Beast Mobile $4/month plan and Sprint Phone Connect device, which can be had on ebay for ~$20-50 (depending on version). A few ebay listings showed MEID which I checked and apparently eligible for activation on Beast. Downside is relying solely on Sprint CDMA.

I also saw Ooma is launching a cellular gateway using VoIP over Sprint LTE, though cost is $15/month + taxes/fees. www.ooma.com/press-release/ooma-introduces-advanced-wireless-home-phone-using-sprint-nationwide-4g-network/

I have my dad on the Sprint Phone Connect device/ Tello, but I can tell you that the voice quality seems much better on the LG-AF300 device with AT&T service with the added benefit that you are getting 1000minute free with the FreeUp plan which is more than enough for me. However, I would not chance switching my dad to this plan as he uses it for his landline and needs it and Tello is very reliable and has great customer service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph, st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #34748 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic Landline Replacement

st3fx wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: interesting thanks.

For about $60 they have LTE versions which might work better for some.

AFAICT, no AT&T MVNOs (except Cricket and recently AT&T prepaid) support VoLTE (yet).

Do you know which "wireless home phone" device supports VoLTE? Thank you very much.

According to posts on HoFo and Reddit, AT&T Home Base (Z700A) and AT&T Wireless Internet (MF279) support VoLTE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, PEW

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #34750 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Landline Replacement
Are there any particular benefits to VoLTE over cellular voice?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #34751 by st3fx

joseph wrote: Are there any particular benefits to VoLTE over cellular voice?

VoLTE is cellular voice. AT&T VoLTE supports wideband codec for "HD Voice" quality. Note: T-Mobile supports wideband over UMTS (or better), but that is not the case with AT&T (AFAICT).

The advantage of VoLTE vs. 3G cellular voice is LTE is not scheduled to be sunset any time soon. More info: www.nthcircle.com/forum/big-four/2517-at-t-3g-ending-in-2022#34732

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #34755 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Landline Replacement

st3fx wrote: The advantage of VoLTE vs. 3G cellular voice is LTE is not scheduled to be sunset any time soon.

There's no voice quality benefit to VoLTE compared to 3G cellular voice?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #34757 by st3fx

joseph wrote:

st3fx wrote: The advantage of VoLTE vs. 3G cellular voice is LTE is not scheduled to be sunset any time soon.

There's no voice quality benefit to VoLTE compared to 3G cellular voice?

I also mentioned VoLTE support for wideband audio codec. Whether this will always result in improved call quality depends on a number of factors. Certainly, if the call is between parties/devices and service provider(s) all supporting wideband, with appropriate intercarrier peering arrangements, if applicable, then yes absolutely the call quality is much better. Note: Wideband codecs (in this context, AMR-WB) can be configured at different bitrates.