FreeUP not working in "dumbphone"

More
2 months 19 hours ago #33711 by RingieDingie

KentE wrote:

RingieDingie wrote: I'm a little on the fence - I enjoy rehabilitating old tech, but on the other hand it's nice when things actually work!
:)

You're very particular! :)

I don't know much about clocks in phones. If it's running off the main battery, and failing to keep time because of a weak battery, the battery should also be far too exhausted to run the phone for more than a few minutes.
If you're inclined, you might try cleaning the battery contacts (and the mating contacts in the phone) with a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol. If you have a VOM, you could also measure the voltage of the battery. In my experiences with old batteries that won't hold a charge, it may measure full voltage immediately after charging, but drop considerably after a day (or even a few hours) of sitting unused.

The other possibility is that the clock runs off of something akin to the CMOS battery in a computer (which could also be a storage capacitor instead of a traditional battery for this little current draw.).

Yeah, I'm still puzzled about the date/time and battery issue. I went ahead and ordered a new battery off of eBay because I guess I wasn't ready to give up.
In the meantime I decided to try putting the SIM back into the phone, got the time and date set correctly while keeping it on the charger, then set it back to automatic time -- and.... it's working and seems to have stabilized! Not sure but it even seems like the battery isn't draining as fast, perhaps because it's connected to a signal now and not continuing to try to acquire one.
So fingers crossed. Calls and SMS are good. I haven't figured out how to get a data connection to browse or send MMS, but it's not that critical and I'll look into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 9 hours ago #33715 by st3fx
@RingieDingie Here is the URL to manual posted previously by @Isamorph:
www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Pantech_Matrix_C740.pdf

See page 39 for MMS profile settings and page 66 for Browser WAP profile settings.

APN settings:
bestmvno.com/apn-settings/freeup-mobile-apn-settings/

Personally, I would still do a master clear/reset for good measure, but since you have it working at the moment, I don't want to suggest something that might screw it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RingieDingie

More
2 months 6 hours ago #33718 by RingieDingie

st3fx wrote: @RingieDingie Here is the URL to manual posted previously by @Isamorph:
www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Pantech_Matrix_C740.pdf

See page 39 for MMS profile settings and page 66 for Browser WAP profile settings.

APN settings:
bestmvno.com/apn-settings/freeup-mobile-apn-settings/

Personally, I would still do a master clear/reset for good measure, but since you have it working at the moment, I don't want to suggest something that might screw it up.

Oh, I had done the master reset at a point prior and it hadn't helped the situation, basically just cleared history and personal files.

Phone still connected and stable today, thankfully.

I tried both the existing WAP profile and one I extrapolated for FreeUP but all searches give me "the requested host was not found". It's a very primitive browser of course, wouldn't really be too useful, just a challenge.

More
2 months 5 hours ago #33719 by RingieDingie
Looks like the web stuff will be irrelevant soon with FU removing data from the Free Plan. Guess I was ahead of my time putting the SIM in a "dumbphone"! :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle