FreeUP not working in "dumbphone"

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
5 months 3 days ago #33654 by PEW
Does calling and texting work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 days ago #33655 by KentE
RingieDingie wrote: "Inbound does go to voicemail, no outbound possible "No Service".."

Since an inbound call is directed to voicemail, the number is 'live' in AT&T's network-- but we also know that because the SIM worked in a previous phone.

Good question about text-- I don't think that's been reported.

The phone shows the correct phone number, so it seems to be reading the SIM OK.

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #33656 by Isamorph
@RingieDingie In case you don't have the manual for your phone, here it is. Maybe there's a way to update the profile, p.66, or some other setting in an attempt to get it working.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Pantech_Matrix_C740.pdf

www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Pantech_Matrix_C740.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: RingieDingie

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #33684 by RingieDingie

PEW wrote: Does calling and texting work?

"No Service" "Emergency calls only", no texting or data.

More
5 months 3 days ago #33685 by RingieDingie

Isamorph wrote: @RingieDingie In case you don't have the manual for your phone, here it is. Maybe there's a way to update the profile, p.66, or some other setting in an attempt to get it working.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Pantech_Matrix_C740.pdf

www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Pantech_Matrix_C740.pdf

Thanks, I have looked at that actually. Profile is where I added one with the APN (that doesn't have all the fields). The original profiles still exist and can't be deleted, and I don't see a way to make the one I added become predominant. :?

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #33686 by RingieDingie
First this happened:
Wow, I think I just fixed it! I was going through all the settings, and noticed the date and time were wrong. Fixed them... then I couldn't believe when I suddenly saw bars and 3G appear!
Whew, that was a puzzler.

Then I set it to automatic time, rebooted, and... it no longer worked. It's having trouble keeping time when I have automatic time off too. Maybe the battery is going?

I put the SIM back in my Android (where it works well) and will consider getting a new battery for the Pantech. Is it worth it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
5 months 3 days ago #33687 by Isamorph

RingieDingie wrote: First this happened:
Wow, I think I just fixed it! I was going through all the settings, and noticed the date and time were wrong. Fixed them... then I couldn't believe when I suddenly saw bars and 3G appear!
Whew, that was a puzzler.

Then I set it to automatic time, rebooted, and... it no longer worked. It's having trouble keeping time when I have automatic time off too. Maybe the battery is going?

I put the SIM back in my Android (where it works well) and will consider getting a new battery for the Pantech. Is it worth it?

That's a tough one considering that you can get a used Pantech phone for around $10/$15 or a battery for about $5, and it doesn't appear certain that a new battery would solve the time problem. At least you now know that the phone does work with the sim, at least at times.

www.ebay.com/itm/Pantech-Matrix-C740-Blue-AT-T-Cellular-Phone/264027046258?hash=item3d793d0172:g:hycAAOSwhX5b4etn

www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Pantech-PBR-C740-Breeze-2-II-P2000-Breeze-3-III-P2030-Matrix-C740-Battery-/323257982115?var=&hash=item4b43ad5ca3

More
5 months 3 days ago #33688 by KentE

RingieDingie wrote: First this happened:

Strange! I never would have guessed that. Congratulations on figuring it out!

I've not had a lot of luck with buying OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) batteries for phones that old-- if it's actually OEM (by Pantech), the chances are good that it's a old stock battery that might not be good anymore. Unless one can confirm that it's later stock, it might be better to buy an aftermarket battery likely to be newer.

That is a cool little phone. If the feature set is a good fit for you, it's worth pursuing.

More
5 months 2 days ago #33697 by RingieDingie
I'm a little on the fence - I enjoy rehabilitating old tech, but on the other hand it's nice when things actually work!
:)

More
5 months 2 days ago #33698 by KentE

RingieDingie wrote: I'm a little on the fence - I enjoy rehabilitating old tech, but on the other hand it's nice when things actually work!
:)

You're very particular! :)

I don't know much about clocks in phones. If it's running off the main battery, and failing to keep time because of a weak battery, the battery should also be far too exhausted to run the phone for more than a few minutes.
If you're inclined, you might try cleaning the battery contacts (and the mating contacts in the phone) with a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol. If you have a VOM, you could also measure the voltage of the battery. In my experiences with old batteries that won't hold a charge, it may measure full voltage immediately after charging, but drop considerably after a day (or even a few hours) of sitting unused.

The other possibility is that the clock runs off of something akin to the CMOS battery in a computer (which could also be a storage capacitor instead of a traditional battery for this little current draw.).