FreeUP - turn off voicemail?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34742 by ajzwilli
I am not able to update my FreeUp call settings to change call forwarding on three phones - Essential phone, Orbic Wonder, Blu R1 HD. I get call settings error - network or sim error. However, I have two phone - Blackberry Priv (GSM factory unlocked) and a cheap LG phone from Cricket where I can update settings. I was able to take my FreeUp sim from my Essential phone and put it in the Priv and update the settings and put it back in the Essential phone. However, I am curious as to why those three phones won't allow me to update call settings. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34743 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic FreeUP - turn off voicemail?
@ajzwilli, I would guess that it's because the 3 non-working phones lack some particular 'hook' necessary to enable the function on the AT&T network-- except that a factory-unlocked Blackberry also seems to fall into the same group of non-AT&T-specific devices.
Out of curiosity, did your Essential start life as factory unlocked, or Sprint?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34744 by ajzwilli
Factory unlocked. I had received my initial one from Sprint, but had a warranty issue and Essential sent me one directly.

The version of the Priv I have is limited to the GSM network, so I was assuming the non-working phones had to do something with phones that have CDMA capabilities, but then if that was the case, the BLU phone should work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34746 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic FreeUP - turn off voicemail?
@ajzwilli Did you try feature codes *61*, *62*, and *67* via phone dialer?

Example (replace '1234567890' with forwarding destination number):
Call Forward if Unanswered: *61*1234567890#
Call Forward if Unreachable: *62*1234567890#
Call Forward if Busy: *67*1234567890#

Source: productforums.google.com/d/msg/voice/Jd_nQIQh4TY/l6L3moY_AQAJ

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34747 by ajzwilli
Using any of the codes returns "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" in one of three devices where I can't access the call settings. In the phones that I can access the call settings, I can change the settings there or use the codes. I'm curious if anyone else is able to change call settings - what phone is being used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34749 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic FreeUP - turn off voicemail?

ajzwilli wrote: Using any of the codes returns "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" in one of three devices where I can't access the call settings. In the phones that I can access the call settings, I can change the settings there or use the codes. I'm curious if anyone else is able to change call settings - what phone is being used.

According to this user, some devices may require an extra star/asterisk (*) in the beginning:
forums.att.com/t5/General-Device-Support/forwarding-voicemail-with-004-results-in-quot-Call-forwarding/m-p/4786897/highlight/true#M363

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #34763 by LouP
Replied by LouP on topic FreeUP - turn off voicemail?
I was looking to do this so calls would go google voice mail and not the FreeUP voicemail.

I was able to successfully use the following instructions that I found online:

How to set up conditional call forwarding (on no answer) on your AT&T cell phone: Follow these simple steps!

Step 1: Using the keypad on your cell phone, dial *004* (do not press call yet.)

Step 2: After dialing *004*, enter the 10 digit telephone number you would like your calls forwarded to.

I used 8002215807 which always rings busy for at least 10 years now

Step 3: Then press *11#.

Step 4: Press call

To turn off conditional call forwarding from your AT&T cell phone, simply punch in #004# and press call.

These instructions worked for me. The phone rings and if no one answers, it forwards to the the google voicemail greeting.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34772 by johnsmith

LouP wrote: I was looking to do this so calls would go google voice mail and not the FreeUP voicemail.

How to set up conditional call forwarding (on no answer) on your AT&T cell phone: Follow these simple steps!

Step 1: Using the keypad on your cell phone, dial *004* (do not press call yet.)

Step 2: After dialing *004*, enter the 10 digit telephone number you would like your calls forwarded to.

To turn off conditional call forwarding from your AT&T cell phone, simply punch in #004# and press call.

These instructions worked for me. The phone rings and if no one answers, it forwards to the the google voicemail greeting.

That's great that you have it working but did you try forwarding to your GV number first?
Theoretically that would be the "correct" way to do it without relying on your 3rd party "always busy" number.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34777 by LouP
Replied by LouP on topic FreeUP - turn off voicemail?

johnsmith wrote:

LouP wrote: I was looking to do this so calls would go google voice mail and not the FreeUP voicemail.

That's great that you have it working but did you try forwarding to your GV number first?
Theoretically that would be the "correct" way to do it without relying on your 3rd party "always busy" number.

I did try it that way initially, but what would happen is my phone would ring and if I did not pick up, then the google voice app would start to ring and then it would eventually go to google voicemail. I did not want this "double ringing". I read about this method above and it seems to work best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnsmith

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #34778 by johnsmith

LouP wrote:

johnsmith wrote:

I did try it that way initially, but what would happen is my phone would ring and if I did not pick up, then the google voice app would start to ring and then it would eventually go to google voicemail. I did not want this "double ringing". I read about this method above and it seems to work best.

Thanks for clarifying.
Good for you to not give up til you got it working perfectly for you.