New step to stay on FreeUp free plan?

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 1 day ago #33308 by KentE

joseph wrote: Has there been any clarification yet whether the free plan is still truly and totally free, where you can signup and throw the phone in a draw for emergency only use without having to use it every month or take any actions to keep the free line alive?

You have to interact with the earnings app (or browser version) once a month (print a coupon, watch a video ad, etc.) , and you have to go to the website to confirm you wish to renew the free plan once a month.
It's possible to do both of these for a phone you manage for someone else, even if you don't have access to the phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joseph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #33320 by joseph

KentE wrote:

joseph wrote: Has there been any clarification yet whether the free plan is still truly and totally free, where you can signup and throw the phone in a draw for emergency only use without having to use it every month or take any actions to keep the free line alive?

You have to interact with the earnings app (or browser version) once a month (print a coupon, watch a video ad, etc.) , and you have to go to the website to confirm you wish to renew the free plan once a month.
It's possible to do both of these for a phone you manage for someone else, even if you don't have access to the phone.

What are the consequences if you miss renewing the plan once a month or if you don't use the earnings app? And how much interaction is required monthly in the earnings app for the free plan?

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 1 day ago #33321 by KentE
Print one coupon, or watch one video, etc., once per month. This should only take a couple of minutes to do.
The allowable consequences of not 'earning' something, or selecting renewal on the free plan, is to cancel the line (at the discretion of Freeup), or to upgrade it automatically to the $10/month plan if you do neither interaction and have autopay enabled. (You can turn off autopay to prevent being charged, and then the line would simply cancel.)
I don't know if anyone has pushed the limits to see if the line would really cancel right away, but I would guess that sooner or later it would cancel. The free plan may be free to the user, but it's definitely not free of cost for FreeUp to provide it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joseph

More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #33322 by Mark
Why do these companies make everything so hard. Freedompop, free up, cellnuvo. I guess thats what free entails
Attachments:

More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #33327 by Chelle

Mark wrote: Why do these companies make everything so hard. Freedompop, free up, cellnuvo. I guess thats what free entails.

I agree that FreedomPop has become hard to keep up with but I honestly think that FreeUp is a breeze.

I've built up over $26 with barely any time or effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouP

More
1 week 1 day ago #33333 by Hungry-Hog
I was curious and tapped cancel auto pay, now in my account I see words in a red box saying "missing a payment method".... Does this matter? I am too lazy to type in my credit card again.

KentE wrote:

More
1 week 12 hours ago #33338 by st3fx

Hungry-Hog wrote: I was curious and tapped cancel auto pay, now in my account I see words in a red box saying "missing a payment method".... Does this matter? I am too lazy to type in my credit card again.

I was able to renew free plan with no payment method on file.

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 11 hours ago #33339 by KentE

st3fx wrote:

Hungry-Hog wrote: I was curious and tapped cancel auto pay, now in my account I see words in a red box saying "missing a payment method".... Does this matter? I am too lazy to type in my credit card again.

My assumption was that cancelling auto-pay would do just that & only that-- leaving a credit card on file for use with manual payments, but revoking auto-pay.
I cancelled auto-pay on one of my accounts. It does appear to remove the payment method entirely. I didn't intend to do that, and will enter the card info again. I guess there isn't a way, as of now, to leave a payment method on file without auto-pay enabled. (In a few days, that account should have enough to cover a $10 charge if I forget to renew the free plan, etc.)

More
1 week 3 hours ago #33346 by Hungry-Hog
I had the same assumption and when I saw that my payment method rather than autopay had been removed I feel that person who wrote the website has a twisted and weirdo mind. In addition, after I clicked renew my free plan I saw a confirmation message saying that my plan has been upgraded. It freaked me out.

I guess freeup does not intend to have the free plan for long and will soon force everybody smooching on it to upgrade or get help.

KentE wrote:

st3fx wrote:

My assumption was that cancelling auto-pay would do just that & only that-- leaving a credit card on file for use with manual payments, but revoking auto-pay.
I cancelled auto-pay on one of my accounts. It does appear to remove the payment method entirely. I didn't intend to do that, and will enter the card info again. I guess there isn't a way, as of now, to leave a payment method on file without auto-pay enabled. (In a few days, that account should have enough to cover a $10 charge if I forget to renew the free plan, etc.)

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 3 hours ago - 1 week 2 hours ago #33347 by PEW
If they can fix the reward bug maybe the $10 plan is very doable. Still cannot beat free, though. Good thing Sprint Free is good for another year.