FreeUp Activation Thread

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #31912 by Frasier1
Replied by Frasier1 on topic FreeUp Activation Thread
I did get a free match of 10 bucks after I earned my first 10 bucks. But that was with a paid plan, I don't know if they would do it for the free plans. And I only have 25 cents on my new free plan so I guess I'll have to wait and see. Interestingly I noticed you can't buy any of the add ons for the free plan. Like if you ran out of free min. and wanted to spend 5 bucks to add additional min. to your plan....you can't. So what can you do with the rewards you earn on the free plan? Well, yo have 2 choices, you can either 'upgrade' to a paid plan using your reward dollars or, you can 'gift' your reward dollars on your free plan to your other paid plan. So if I earn 7 reward bucks by printing coupons on the paid plan each month AND I gift myself the 7 bucks for printing coupons on the 'free' plan, then I will have 14 bucks which more than pays for my 10 dollar paid plan. (boy that was a long sentence)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #31915 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic FreeUp Activation Thread

Frasier1 wrote: I did get a free match of 10 bucks after I earned my first 10 bucks. But that was with a paid plan, I don't know if they would do it for the free plans. And I only have 25 cents on my new free plan so I guess I'll have to wait and see. Interestingly I noticed you can't buy any of the add ons for the free plan. Like if you ran out of free min. and wanted to spend 5 bucks to add additional min. to your plan....you can't. So what can you do with the rewards you earn on the free plan? Well, yo have 2 choices, you can either 'upgrade' to a paid plan using your reward dollars or, you can 'gift' your reward dollars on your free plan to your other paid plan. So if I earn 7 reward bucks by printing coupons on the paid plan each month AND I gift myself the 7 bucks for printing coupons on the 'free' plan, then I will have 14 bucks which more than pays for my 10 dollar paid plan. (boy that was a long sentence)

Thanks for all the info you have provided about FreeUp.
Re--buying add ons on the free plan: @m&m posted on the FreeUp mobile thread that the option to buy add ons is now working, and that is the case on my account as well, though I haven't actually made a purchase. So are you saying, even though the option to buy addons is now there, one still can't purchase add ons on the free plan? Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #31916 by Frasier1
Replied by Frasier1 on topic FreeUp Activation Thread
No, I just meant it wasn't working for me. Glad to get an update that it is now working! Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #31919 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic FreeUp Activation Thread
Another successful activation, in a dual-SIM phone.

I activated a FreeUp SIM for a friend yesterday, in a Nokia 3.1 dual-SIM phone. This is a newer design dual-SIM phone than the one Chelle reported in the first post. It works fine with a FreedomPop (AT&T) SIM in the other slot for data only. FreeUp SIM in slot 2, assigned to 3G (AT&T uses 3G for voice now), with data disabled. Slot 1 holds the FreedomPop SIM assigned to LTE, data enabled. (Did it in that order because the phone quickstart manual indicated that arrangement, although I don't know if it was just an example, or a directive.) The phone was smart enough to automatically assign LTE to the FreedomPop SIM, as I already had the FreeUp SIM assigned and set up as 3G, and smart enough to assign the FreeUp SIM as 3G only instead of 2G/3G..
Voice and SMS work fine, as does Freedompop data. No switching of SIMs, involved-- it just works. I have not yet tested MMS. My friend does not use Google Voice, so no reports on whether that would be an issue. Functions were tested individually, so I can't confirm that data (e.g., streaming) would continue while calling. (It's a base free FreedomPop SIM with 250mb, so streaming isn't likely in any case.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, PEW, woo_24, Frasier1

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #31923 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic FreeUp Activation Thread
Nice! Thanks for the research, now you got me wanting to get a new dual-sim phone. :)

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #31962 by KentE
Re: my post about the dual-SIM Nokia above, MMS has been tested and works fine with carrier # with configuration above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
4 months 6 days ago #32418 by min68
Replied by min68 on topic FreeUp Activation Thread
I activated a FreeUpSIM yesterday, with Freedompop number ported-in.
After about 20 min I got email from Freeup saying port successfully, and I can dialout , send/receive sms with my number, and data is working fine.
However till now (about 24 hours later) I still cannot receive any call to this number.
Anybody has this issue?

More
4 months 6 days ago #32419 by KentE

min68 wrote: I activated a FreeUpSIM yesterday, with Freedompop number ported-in.
After about 20 min I got email from Freeup saying port successfully, and I can dialout , send/receive sms with my number, and data is working fine.
However till now (about 24 hours later) I still cannot receive any call to this number.
Anybody has this issue?

I have not. But some general thoughts:
Maybe the FreedomPop # will take longer to set up fully in the system, since it wasn't actually registered for cellular calling before.
Are you using a different phone than you used on FreedomPop? If the same phone, does it have the FreedomPop messenger app installed? (It would need to be uninstalled, along with any other FP apps.)
Are you using Google Voice, or something similar?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, min68

More
4 months 6 days ago #32420 by min68
Replied by min68 on topic FreeUp Activation Thread

KentE wrote: I have not. But some general thoughts:
Maybe the FreedomPop # will take longer to set up fully in the system, since it wasn't actually registered for cellular calling before.
Are you using a different phone than you used on FreedomPop? If the same phone, does it have the FreedomPop messenger app installed? (It would need to be uninstalled, along with any other FP apps.)
Are you using Google Voice, or something similar?

I tried different unlocked phones with Freeup SIM, same result. can call others, and others show correct ported number. SMS in/out also show ported number.
But Freedompop site still shows that number in my account. I remembered last time I ported out from Freedompop (2 years ago?), after port, my freedompop account no more showing that number. and I have requested a new number for Freedompop for free.
I will wait a few more days to see.

More
4 months 6 days ago #32423 by KentE
min68 writes: "But Freedompop site still shows that number in my account."
I think this might be key. If the FP dash isn't just being slow to update, it sounds like the port is as of yet incomplete. If that continues for another day or 2, might be worth reaching out to FP support to inquire. If you use twitter, contacting them via @freedompophelp seems to get a quicker response.
(My experience matches yours when porting out from Freedompop-- the device still showed, but without a plan or number, and I could reactivate the same SIM with a new #.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: min68