What is this Freedompop item Walmart is Selling?

• kathie
  • kathie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 6 days ago #1 by kathie
There is nobody to ask at Walmart or Freedompop, so I searched around and found this forum and thought you guys might know.

www.walmart.com/ip/FreedomPop-Free-300-Minutes-1000-Texts-100MB-Month/680827893

It appears that for $9.98, you get 300 minutes, 1000 texts, and 100mb every month.  But, that does not make sense since Freedompop's website free plan is for 0 cell minutes, 10 texts and 25mb.  Maybe this is voip deal?  But, didn't Freedompop discontinue their voip app?  I don't think the item is old stock either as I can't recall Freedompop ever offering this plan.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #2 by mmfacemm
I saw this the other day. Was going to ask if anyone knows.

Sounds like it is running on the native att network but can't be sure. Would be a good free plan if so.

More
1 week 3 days ago #3 by KentE
Search for 'FreedomPop' on Walmart's site, and you'll see 3 products: the linked one, and 2 traditional monthly refill cards with different data amounts.
Taken together, my assumption is that the linked product is a Starter Sim Kit (as it's labeled on the package) with an initial pre-load for the first month: basically a trial SIM. At the end of the 30 days, you'd need to refill with one of the 2 refill cards.
The cheaper one is Unlimited Talk/Text + 1.5GB for $10, which is a pretty competitive rate if it's on AT&T network & not VoIP, and not terrible if it's on T-Mobile.

The confusing part is the package label saying 'FREE'. It's not like FreedomPop isn't in the habit of confusing terminology that can lead one to assume what part of it's 'free'. My guess is they're indicating the SIM itself is worth $10, and the 30 days/allocations are 'free'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #4 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Interesting indeed !!
Thanks for pointing it out Kathie & KentE for your observations.

-IF- it is actually AT&T and NOT 100% VOIP (like FP has pretty much always been...) that has worked so poorly for us, here.

FP -is- so commonly misleading in their claims, and where it says 'exclusively at walmart' as well as 'free wireless service' makes me wonder what games may be afoot in that offer.

Of course, what with all the quaking now in progress with cellular stuff in general (mergers, etc...) one must wonder just how long this would even work after getting it.

On the other hand, if it DOES work around here & if it is AT&T, then it could be a better choice than paying for a year of Redpocket which gets almost zero usage here.

I'd love to know more about it seeing as it has no reviews there - and buying it, even for under $10 may be just a time-waster for us if done just to check it out.

More
1 week 3 days ago #5 by mmfacemm
Yes I think KentE is probably right since their "starter kits" usually just mean the sim kit and you buy the plan yourself. Free here may just mean the first month is free. Some of the wording implies it is a free monthly plan but I wouldn't count on that.

More
1 week 3 days ago #6 by FreedomPop

I saw this the other day. Was going to ask if anyone knows.

Sounds like it is running on the native att network but can't be sure. Would be a good free plan if so.

Hi there! Yes, this is a fully native experience. However, this is actually on our GSMT network (not GSMA), and it is indeed associated with a free plan! Should you have any other questions, feel free to connect with our support team via chat by visiting our website, and they'll certainly help get that sorted out.

Happy holidays to everyone! 

More
1 week 3 days ago #7 by mmfacemm
So it is free every month? And is there anything we have to do or will it renew automatically each month? Thanks

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #8 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Impressive - an affirmative reply directly from FP - wow !!

Doubly impressed now as it appears that I am mistaken at this later date.
Just checked here:
www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

And it shows our little town & most of the areas I visit as having 4G LTE at minimum - SHOCKER !!

So I also checked a couple of my devices here:
www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

And it says they will work...also amazing to me.

Up 'till recently there was only GSMT in about zero of our entire region, but now it seems to have bloomed...somehow - perhaps it is a great improvement & may be worthy of checking out.

More
1 week 3 days ago #9 by redrotors
EZ, did you have Sprint signal in your area in years past?

I ask because I spend time in an area where T-mo native was always no show (post paid T-mo could roam to AT&T in parts of the area) but Sprint had pretty decent coverage. Now in that area, with the right phone (all the possible t-mo bands I guess), there is now T-mo signal in pretty much the same areas as where Sprint had some coverage. There must be some refarming going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
1 week 3 days ago #10 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Greetings Redrotors !!
Nope - only VZ & AT&T here in VT with a tiny bleed through of USC from NH in a few places.

Something BIG has definitely changed.