Changes to Freedompop free plans

More
8 months 3 days ago #31 by st3fx
As a continuation of my prediction that the old free plans would be grandfathered beyond October 15, I believe that if the ultimate goal is to get the lines out of the old backend and onto RedPocket backend, FP will stop updating the Android and iPhone apps or even pull them from the app stores. However, I do not think they will shutoff the infrastructure in place supporting the old lines for quite some time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 days ago #32 by mmfacemm
If history repeats itself these will continue to work for many for some time to come. They took forever to close down the global sims.

More
8 months 3 days ago #33 by bingyee
My FP SIM that renews on the 13th of every month just renewed with my full 250mb allotment, including 50gb friends bonus.

Usually, at the beginning of each new billing period, this one experiences about 8-10 hours when the account shows as suspended, because the credit card that's attached to it has expired. But the account gets reactivated because I'm not being charged anything as long as I have some data use each billing period.

More
8 months 3 days ago #34 by johnsmith

My FP SIM that renews on the 13th of every month just renewed with my full 250mb allotment, including 50gb friends bonus.

Usually, at the beginning of each new billing period, this one experiences about 8-10 hours when the account shows as suspended, because the credit card that's attached to it has expired. But the account gets reactivated because I'm not being charged anything as long as I have some data use each billing period.

50 MB - we knew what you meant :)

More
8 months 3 days ago #35 by tonywagner

As a continuation of my prediction that the old free plans would be grandfathered beyond October 15, I believe that if the ultimate goal is to get the lines out of the old backend and onto RedPocket backend, FP will stop updating the Android and iPhone apps or even pull them from the app stores. However, I do not think they will shutoff the infrastructure in place supporting the old lines for quite some time.

I'm not sure if FreedomPop/Red Pocket will have a choice. They don't really control the infrastructure that provides data -- AT&T does.

More
8 months 3 days ago #36 by bingyee

50 MB - we knew what you meant :)

Yeah Freudian slip sorta. Perhaps due to my credit card being expired, I can use 50gb before they catch on, and then all they can do is shut my account down.

I got a replacement native calling SIM for one of my plans. I put the packet away and will probably forget where I placed it.

More
8 months 2 days ago - 8 months 2 days ago #37 by sovashadow

Note they were on an annual plan and not the free plan so could also mean the end of the annual plans)

Here is my 2¢

I am on the annual plan but the one bought from a retail store. So they don't have my address, but they do have my email. I think if the annual plans were ending, they would take the frugal route and just email everyone. But I could be wrong, just trying to stay optimistic.

More
8 months 2 days ago #38 by bingyee

Note they were on an annual plan and not the free plan so could also mean the end of the annual plans)

Here is my 2¢

I am on the annual plan but the one bought from a retail store. So they don't have my address, but they do have my email. I think if the annual plans were ending, they would take the frugal route and just email everyone. But I could be wrong, just trying to stay optimistic.

Neither one of my three plans is an annual plan. I received one replacement SIM yesterday.

More
8 months 2 days ago #39 by st3fx
Why are the old FP SIM cards/devices/plans still listed for sale?

www.freedompop.com/sim-card

www.freedompop.com/free-data

shop.freedompop.com/products

More
8 months 2 days ago #40 by tonywagner

Why are the old FP SIM cards/devices/plans still listed for sale?

Because they haven't updated their main website in ages. Their main homepage still says they support the Sprint network, for example, when that hasn't been true for 15 months or so.

Notice that this new plan information is on a completely new server (premium.freedompop.com). I wouldn't be surprised that, if they migrate everyone to new plans, they'll just dump the old site completely.