Changes to Freedompop free plans

More
2 months 1 week ago #201 by KentE

I let two of my lines go into suspended status - they were linked to a credit card number that I no longer use. The data no longer works. However, calls (including international calls) and text still work on wifi or data from another carrier. This is good because my parents can still use this to make free calls to Hong Kong. No telling how long this will last

PS:  this is via the iPhone app.  I have no idea if calls and text will work on android on a suspended account.

Thanks for the report!   I haven't seen recent comments about the FreedomPop Messaging app on iPhone.

In theory, the FreedomPop Messaging app was (is?) available for standalone VoIP use, without any type of FreedomPop plan.  The Android version of the app was removed from Google Play store for a while (now back), and some users can't get it to work even with an active FreedomPop plan.  It seems that bug fixes and updates are on a low priority scale.  (Perhaps never?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #202 by gen13
Got this email a month back. Still have no update to the government plan.

Hello ,

We recently sent you a notice regarding the upcoming changes to our free plan, along with your options and instructions on what to do next.

We are delighted to offer you one additional possible option for maintaining free service, with even more data, all for free - thanks to the new Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program offered by the federal government.

For qualifying households, the EBB program as offered through our sister company will provide you with high-speed data for FREE in tiers of 1GB, 5GB, and 20GB every month for the duration of the program.

Recipients of this email have been pre-screened as potentially qualifying applicants for the EBB Program which offers free government subsidized data to eligible customers.

We are inviting you to register for priority notifications from us regarding the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. This email is your invitation to opt-in to the EBB Program’s notification list for priority launch updates and does not guarantee eligibility.

In light of this exciting opportunity, we have opted to delay any charges to your plan for the month of May. You will instead receive a month on the Essential Plan at no cost in order to give you an opportunity to apply for the EBB program when it becomes available on May 12, 2021.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chosen

More
2 months 1 week ago #203 by Mr. Cheapskate
Update: no free 'premium' SIM card after three weeks. Contacted support over chat...support says no record of the request, and _very_ hesitant to give me one. They finally caved, and it arrived today (I was surprised to see it!). Tried to activate, but the freedompop.com/activate webpage returns "error -1" when I enter the ICCID. Huh.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #204 by PEW
Update: Well, there is a pending 1 cent charge from Freedompop. I guess I need to cancel this credit card, which is fine with me.

More
1 week 20 hours ago - 1 week 20 hours ago #205 by bingyee
For anyone else who has a new free plan on the premium voice, don't you find this annoying:

On the Free plan?-you cannot have a recurring subscription on the free plan. when on the free plan, you must manually renew your free service every time it expires.

More
2 days 3 hours ago #206 by raysmith007
No, not at all...I tried to "unsubscribe" by deleting my CC and three months later I "re-activated" the same account and phone #.
They don't seem to do anything if your account goes inactive.

More
2 days 3 hours ago #207 by raysmith007
port to Google fi...then cancel and they will port out to google voice

More
2 days 3 hours ago #208 by raysmith007
As I recall, each sim card was at least $.99...they still made money, especially with their $20 "top-up" theft...