Freedompop down report 5/27/2020

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #1 by KentE
I noticed this thread www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/griqfu/freedompop_are_they_closing_their_basic_200_free/

Please-- as of now, there is no particular reason to think these accounts are being axed.

My understanding: a number of folks are reporting that there line does not work, and that logging in to the dashboard online shows the general 'store' page, the header "You have not signed up for FreedomPop service yet. Already have a device?", and no plan details, phone number, or history.

I can confirm that all of our free SIMs show this, except for a data-only SIM. I've checked a couple for service, and there is none, so it's not just a dashboard display error. (All have been used within the last 3 weeks, one as recently as 2 days ago.)

At least one iPhone user in the linked thread says their plan is working as normal.

If you're planning on using your FreedomPop line, best to check first before you get somewhere where it might be really inconvenient to be without service.

If your line isn't working, with the symptoms noted above, I would recommend against taking any steps to try to make it work by proceeding with the 'activate' suggestion on the website. With this group of symptoms, this isn't the usual 'hibernating' line, and the 'activate' function isn't likely to fix it, and might well mess things up further.

My thoughts-- I think this is a server database issue: reach out to support, perhaps via twitter, to let them know about the issue-- and/or wait for the dashboard to return to showing some kind of detail about your line before you go poking buttons......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #2 by Chelle

I noticed this thread www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/griqfu/freedompop_are_they_closing_their_basic_200_free/

Please-- as of now, there is no particular reason to think these accounts are being axed.

My understanding: a number of folks are reporting that there line does not work, and that logging in to the dashboard online shows the general 'store' page, the header "You have not signed up for FreedomPop service yet. Already have a device?", and no plan details, phone number, or history.

I can confirm that all of our free SIMs show this, except for a data-only SIM. I've checked a couple for service, and there is none, so it's not just a dashboard display error. (All have been used within the last 3 weeks, one as recently as 2 days ago.)

At least one iPhone user in the linked thread says their plan is working as normal.

If you're planning on using your FreedomPop line, best to check first before you get somewhere where it might be really inconvenient to be without service.

If your line isn't working, with the symptoms noted above, I would recommend against taking any steps to try to make it work by proceeding with the 'activate' suggestion on the website. With this group of symptoms, this isn't the usual 'hibernating' line, and the 'activate' function isn't likely to fix it, and might well mess things up further.

My thoughts-- I think this is a server database issue: reach out to support, perhaps via twitter, to let them know about the issue-- and/or wait for the dashboard to return to showing some kind of detail about your line before you go poking buttons......

I almost hope they do go away.

I have about 8 lines, including one data only line, that I dutifully keep alive and also reactivate the credit every month.

The only one I care about is the data only line.

I'd actually be relieved if the others went away. I only keep them alive because I'm not a wasteful person.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #3 by Chosen

I marvel at the time and energy many here have spent trying to maximize small freebies from FreedomPop....playing all their games ..... and reveling at beating them now and then for an extra 1GB here or there.

Don’t hate the player....hate the game.

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #4 by KentE

I marvel at the time and energy many here have spent trying to maximize small freebies from FreedomPop....playing all their games ..... and reveling at beating them now and then for an extra 1GB here or there.

As is often the case, it can be a matter of perspective, tolerance, and need.
My oldest remaining SIM is just shy of 4 years old. Although I've spent some time maintaining them over the years, I'm going to guess that it's less time per account/per month than I had to spend keeping my paid Red Pocket lines working. That bothered me a lot more than time spent on keeping a free line working.

They've been handy for me, to have a little data for when I was out-and-about, or to pair with a small paid plan (from elsewhere) to extend the data.
The following user(s) said Thank You: y4vix

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #5 by phone_nerd
I just checked my account, I have a SIM missing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #6 by KentE
In the Reddit thread, there is now a person who tried to 'activate', as the dashboard suggests. It did not work, with an "error 404".
(Which reinforces my thought that it's not worth trying at this point.)

Another user reports 1 of 3 SIMs dead, so it does not seem to be universal. I find myself looking for patterns, but it's possible none exist.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #7 by bingyee
I have 2 of my 3 SIMs on hand. They both worked on my iPhone SE running IOS 12. They also worked on my Galaxy S5.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #8 by peterquinn
FP used to be my main line, but they stopped being useful to me when they got rid of their FreedomFriends bonus free data.

With a paltry 200mb of data now, my sentiments about FP are very much like Chelle's. I don't use the sim because I don't want any over-charges. I don't invest any mental energy on them either, and will be perfectly happy if they shut down service. In fact, I think I'll be relieved if they shut down service.

It was good while it lasted though, and I'm thankful for the many months when FP was my main phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #9 by tech-stitch
The last one we have left is working fine (tested using the iPhone app for voice calls). Data is also active (under the Asus phone).

• zli
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #10 by zli
I lost two SIMs. Both line had top-up credit balance. What the ...