Any updates on the transition?

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39907 by JS
Replied by JS on topic Any updates on the transition?
I received an email with a hard deadline of August 6. My guess is the date is being staggered to prevent a situation where there are more users than customer support can handle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #39909 by KentE

LiterallyUnlimited wrote: I've still seen no word from RP on anything CDMA-related, nor what's happening to my GSM line. Anyone?

There is now an answer on FP/RP CDMA lines-- Red Pocket wants them back.
Over on Howard Forums, user Comintel posted some new information.
www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1914116-FreedomPop-has-been-sold-to-Red-Pocket?p=17087517#post17087517

The TLDR: go to www.redpocket.com/fp
and log in with your old FreedomPop (CDMA line) credentials.
Although you have to go through some validation steps for you device, you'll eventually see 3 plans.
$3 200 min/500 text/200mb (true cellular voice)
$9 Unlimited talk/text / 1GB
$40 Unlim talk/text/10GB

There are some stumbling blocks: you won't be able to progress through the steps if your phone is still active somewhere. (And it is active, on Ting, unless you have finished the migration and cancelled it.) I used a spare inactive MEID to get through validation to see the offers since my line is still in Ting limbo.

It doesn't look like you'll be able to port the old number & device together. You could cancel the line via Ting, and get a new number and use the old phone, or perhaps port the number to FP/RP and use a different device. (I have no clue how hard it might be to change devices later.....it doesn't have to be hard on the Sprint network, but I don't know what FP/RP will enable.

For me, the $3 plan is the only one that is tempting. At $9, I'd far rather spend the extra $1 and stay with Ting, or go to Tello.

(EDIT TO ADD) I've been playing around a little with that page.

It says you can port your number or get a new number. This should indicate that you could take FP/RP up on the offer based solely on your old FP log-in credentials, and do as you wish with your migrated number (i.e., also accept Ting's offer.) The site wants me to check out/pay before I can see any info about porting or selecting a new number, so I didn't go that far.

The wording is strange about eligible devices. For kicks, I tried an unlocked AT&T prepaid IMEI, and it failed with the message "Error! CDMAS:Device Validation Failed on CDMA-S. CDMAV:Not Certified " Which, of course, made me try a Verizon IMEI. That starts to progress, but wants me to verify an existing SIM card or buy a new one ($10) before I can get to the page to see plans. I don't have a clue whether it will offer me the same FP special plans, or revert to standard RP plans. (I'd love to have a $3/mo Verizon line-- but I suspect it's not to be.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39914 by mmfacemm
Interesting. I suspect it was a leak and not meant to go live until ting have had a chance to finish getting their customers.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39915 by ZZWang
Does it work for international calls?

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39916 by ZZWang
Thanks just tested. Seems any released sprint phone would work. But there is also tax charge.
Overall it is decent deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LiterallyUnlimited

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39919 by KentE

RoadRanger wrote:

KentE wrote: Ting has said they'll get more aggressive about prodding folks to finish the migration as the deadline approaches

I'd just like to know when the deadline is :-/ . I only use data so no redirects to Ting hit men for me LOL.

Just in case you missed the post from JS above, it sounds like it may be time to pay closer attention to possible 'drop dead' dates.

I likely got the same email JS refers to:

"Subject: You're about to lose your FreedomPop service

It's time to make a move.

Hi xxx

As you may have heard, the former owners of FreedomPop quit the Sprint network. Ting Mobile (Hi. That’s us.) has stepped in with two great offers for all FreedomPop migrants.

To try Ting go to ting.com/freedompop.
To move your number to another carrier, first confirm your details at ting.com/freedompop.
To cancel your service no action is required and you will not be charged.

We've broken the whole process out in this step-by-step guide.

If you don't take action by Tuesday, August 6, 2019, your phone service will be turned off.

Thanks,

Ting Mobile"

I haven't checked all my FP emails yet, but this one received the first email directly from Ting about the transition on July 31, so it doesn't seem like they're giving much leadtime. (6 days, from first notice to 'drop dead' date, in my case. I didn't intend to do anything with the line until hearing from Ting directly, since I trust their handling.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoadRanger

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39920 by RoadRanger
Yep, just got my August 6th deadline on all three of the email addresses I used.

Interesting - my free account hotspot became throttled (not cut off) yesterday after using it to stream NetFlix for several days. I've switched over to one of my jailbroken phones as a hotspot. I can't get broadband internet here at the new home until the 14th :-/ . I'll do the 20/20 plans for the free month I guess :) . Signal only one bar here and that only in an upstairs window facing my best guess of where the tower is :-/ .

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #39922 by joeuser
I was able to login using a Sprint freedompop account that I had cancelled a few months ago.
Then I was able to enter the MEID and SIM card number from an inactive Sprint phone I had lying around.
Then I was able to update my address and enter my current address along with service zip code (which means you can pick any location you want for your telephone number). I didn't port any number. So once I selected the $8.99 plan which came to about $9.50 with taxes, it quickly activated my phone. Once finished, I was able to change my plan to the $2.99 cheapest plan but decided against it for the time being. Also it appears I can add other lines to the account, hopefully with the same deal.

So Redpocket isn't being that fussy about only allowing FP customers who had active lines up until the end to get these special Sprint plans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #39928 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Any updates on the transition?

KentE wrote: The TLDR: go to www.redpocket.com/fp
and log in with your old FreedomPop (CDMA line) credentials.
Although you have to go through some validation steps for you device, you'll eventually see 3 plans.
$3 200 min/500 text/200mb (true cellular voice)
$9 Unlimited talk/text / 1GB
$40 Unlim talk/text/10GB

Tello, you can pay $7/mo for 100 min + unlimited text + 1 GB data + unlimited 2g speed afterwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #40009 by JS
Replied by JS on topic Any updates on the transition?
Somebody in another forum contacted Red Pocket and was told the $3 a month plan (Sprint) is for 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500mb. Previously, the amount stated for former Freedompop users was 200mb worth of data. I have no idea if that post is accurate or not.

Also someone relayed his experience going from Freedompop CDMA to the $3 plan with Red Pocket and stated that the porting process failed because using the same phone does not work. Device had passed their site's IMEI checker, so the thinking was the device was okay for activation.