Any updates on the transition?

More
6 months 5 days ago #40382 by KentE
@Freedompop : I'll ask a question that's been wondered about several times here (and elsewhere). There are a number of fans of your 3-month and 12-month pre-loaded SIMs here. Is there a predictable "expiration date" on activating these? For example, I bought a 12-month SIM recently on sale, but hoped not to activate it until my current plan elsewhere expires.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #40384 by FreedomPop

KentE wrote: @Freedompop : I'll ask a question that's been wondered about several times here (and elsewhere). There are a number of fans of your 3-month and 12-month pre-loaded SIMs here. Is there a predictable "expiration date" on activating these? For example, I bought a 12-month SIM recently on sale, but hoped not to activate it until my current plan elsewhere expires.

Great question, KentE. We currently do not have an expiration date for when you must activate your pre-loaded FP/UM SIM. If we were to implement an expiration date on these, I would imagine it would apply to purchases post-implementation and not retroactively.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #40532 by Frasier1
Well, I finally threw in the towel and canceled my last line with FreedomPop. I got tired of waiting for the 'Red Pocket' deal for GSM and was not happy that they gave a deal to cdma sprint customers (to lure them away from Ting) but not for the customers they 'bought' from FreedomPop. I still have FreeUP and Tello so I'm good to go....

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #40535 by KentE

Frasier1 wrote: Well, I finally threw in the towel and canceled my last line with FreedomPop. I got tired of waiting for the 'Red Pocket' deal for GSM and was not happy that they gave a deal to cdma sprint customers (to lure them away from Ting) but not for the customers they 'bought' from FreedomPop. I still have FreeUP and Tello so I'm good to go....

It's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? A lot of the CDMA folks are unhappy because there's nowhere to get "free". A lot of the GSM folks are unhappy because there's no way to pay a reasonable amount to add cellular voice......

Personally, I'm happy with the choices I have for now. I moved a couple of lines I help with to the FP/RP $3 offer, and glad to have cellular voice there.
I'm glad I can keep my free data-only FreedomPop GSM SIM for the time being, too. If they come up with an offer 'close' to the CDMA offer for cellular voice on GSM, I'd likely bite on that, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #40548 by bingyee

KentE wrote:

Frasier1 wrote: What is the website for Freedompop GSM users to switch/convert/migrate over to Red Pocket GSM????

Well, it appears to be here:
www.redpocket.com/fp
which is the same page that allows FP CDMA customers to get a special offer to come back.
Note the new wording, as of yesterday, that specifies GSM, and a different rate than you'll see if you go thru the process with a CDMA line. ($4 for GSM, $3 for CDMA.)

The catch is that I can't get it to work. It verifies my account info, seems to accept my (existing FreedomPop) SIM card #, then asks for an IMEI and fails the process because the pair is not CDMA compatible. (duh.)

The possibility I haven't tried is that it's looking for a NEW Red Pocket SIM, rather than reusing the FreedomPop SIM. (Not sure I have a Red Pocket SIM here, and if I do it may be expired re: someone else's apparently unrelated attempt to use a SIM that had been stored for a while.)

The same page does work to create a new CDMA/Sprint account.

(EDIT: TO ADD)
Wording from the site above the login fields:
"If you have an existing Red Pocket Mobile or FreedomPop GSM account, login below:" That might imply the page is also accessible from an existing Red Pocket page?

(EDIT TO ADD, AGAIN)
See Fraiser1's reponse below. My interpretation of what the start page is set up to allow is apparently wrong, and this won't lead you to a special offer for a GSM line.

I managed to overcome the problem bolded above but it was a real pain. The process failed for me twice when I tried to port a number during the initial payment stage. The third time, I didn't put in my port in information; I asked RP to give me a new number. That worked. I then had to work with a customer service rep to replace the number with one I was bringing over. It took almost an hour over 2 different calls.

Also, you need to check your credit card on the failed activations. I think the charge goes through and you have to ask RP to reverse them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #40579 by RoadRanger
Well, I had 7 devices migrated to the $20/mo Ting plan with the first month free. With the free month rapidly expiring I ended up deactivating and removing ALL of them. Three of those devices were broken or obsolete anyways so I had removed them shortly after migrating that account that had 5 of my devices on it. In the end only one of my FP Sprint android devices was newer than KitKat so I wanted to keep that one but no-one ever responded if it was possible to downgrade to the $6 plan :( . As for the KitKat devices there are more and more apps that won't run on that - too bad as I really liked a couple of them :( . Anyways I just activated my one Marshmallow device on the $3 RP plan - no problem but I haven't verified if it is working yet as it's in the middle of updating apps. I still need to reboot it and possibly ##72786# it ...

EDIT> Seems to be working except shows as 200/500/0 :( . After a lengthy chat they are going to get back to me in a day or two. Voice and text working, haven't tried data yet - maybe "0" means "unlimited" LOL.

EDIT> Data is working, just dunno what the limit is and/or how much I have left :-/ . You would think that with the several weeks of it being documented here that there is a problem that they would fix that plan?

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #40580 by joeuser
I just experienced the same FP/RP $3 plan CDMA data issue. My account shows the correct remaining min. and texts but 0 data remaining and I know I only used about 50MB of data this month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoadRanger

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #40593 by KentE
I've set up 3 of these plans for different users. Each line required multiple contacts with service to get the plan set up correctly: None of the lines populated with anything above 1/1/1 initially. Allotments were wrong even after the initial refill was reflected. One line needed to use tethering, which is apparently included, but did not work until after another CS request. (I haven't tested that on the other 2 lines, since the phones aren't capable.)

In each instance, the CS agent was polite and helpful, although not particularly fast. (A lot of holds while the CSR talked to supervisors or techs to address the issue.).... Swapping a device on one line was easy, but also required an agent.

The lines have worked fine once set up properly. . I signed up relatively early, so maybe these were early-adopter bugs.

There's a one user on Reddit who has been told that the plan is only a 30-day introductory plan, and won't renew at the $3 rate.
www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/cxbqqu/warning_fpting_people_who_moved_to_redpocket/
I haven't seen any confirmation elsewhere, or any reports of the plan renewal working as anticipated-- but the early sign-ups should be renewing their plans soon.

(EDIT TO ADD: I'm now also seeing the same 0 mb of data remaining that RoadRanger and joeuser report, on 2 plans. One has used 114mb according to the usually-reliable phone report. Data still works, but it worries me since I use Google Voice. A second line also reads 0mb, and probably hasn't used 10 mb. )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Diedrich_Duo

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #40613 by joeuser
My FP/RP $3 plan CDMA data issue has been resolved. My remaining data now reports correctly in my account.
I didn't have to contact tech services for support, either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #40614 by RoadRanger

joeuser wrote: My FP/RP $3 plan CDMA data issue has been resolved. My remaining data now reports correctly in my account.
I didn't have to contact tech services for support, either.

I'm chatting with them to get it fixed from 200/500/200 to 200/500/500 - it was 200500/0 at first :-/ . I'm also getting them to disable voicemail so I can use it with Google Voice :)