Any updates on the transition?

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40041 by JS
Replied by JS on topic Any updates on the transition?
There is speculation that only users of paid plans from Freedompop are currently able to login to Red Pocket and take advantage of the deals. The thinking is Redpocket is trying to avoid the perception that they are taking away potential Ting customers. At least for the time being anyway. We shall see if the logins suddenly work after the today's deadline or maybe after the free month's trial on Ting expires.

When I tried using the "Need help signing in" link, the system failed to recognize my email so resetting the password is not possible. If you could login to Redpocket using the credentials from a non-paying Freedompop account, please share how that was done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40042 by mmfacemm
mine were free accounts and I could log in and select a special rp plan

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40043 by FreedomPop

KentE wrote: Thanks for stopping in, @FreedomPop !

The forum owner asks that telecom company representatives request a "verified" badge, so that everyone here is comfortable that you're actually 'official'.
It's easy to do: see this post:
www.nthcircle.com/forum/welcome/106-verified-telecom-representatives

Definitely! We previously submitted a request and are anticipating our shiny verified badge soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40044 by JS
Replied by JS on topic Any updates on the transition?

mmfacemm wrote: mine were free accounts and I could log in and select a special rp plan

Was that account using a gmail address? Perhaps the problem is somehow related to gmail, or maybe those accounts having trouble are those that are not used often enough.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40045 by mmfacemm
No not gmail

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40046 by KentE

JS wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: mine were free accounts and I could log in and select a special rp plan

Was that account using a gmail address? Perhaps the problem is somehow related to gmail, or maybe those accounts having trouble are those that are not used often enough.

The 2 emails that verify for me (Red Pocket offer) were both on free plans, as were all my CDMA lines. One is a gmail address, and the other is not.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40049 by KentE
Well, I just activated one line on the RP/FP $3 offer, with a number ported from the Ting transition page. It seems to have gone just fine, the phone just went through provisioning, with the port completing in under 15 minutes.
The account page is almost useless at this point, since it doesn't show the new allotments. At this point it shows 1 unit of each : minutes/sms/mb with a 'refill reqiuired' date of 8/9-- so I'm not likely to do much testing right away.
I did use a spare phone that wasn't on the FP/Ting line, and I did have to go in and edit some of the account fields in the process of signing up, plus entering new CC information. (Those fields were not pre-populated with my old FP CC info.) For those who care, SSN was also required. Checkout including tax was $3.01.

As others have noted, every page after the first page showing the plans lists 500mb rather than 200mb. I don't see either on my account dashboard, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40050 by joeuser
I'm a little confused about the CDMA (Sprint) accounts.
If the old Freedompop sold the CDMA (Sprint) accounts to Ting, then why would Red Pocket / new Freedompop have the user account information to allow CDMA (Sprint) customers to sign up with them?

From what I read Ting paid a good deal of money for these accounts, so wouldn't that contract prohibit Freedomp / Red Pocket from using the information which was sold to Ting? At a minimum, isn't there an ethical issue.

I really don't want to see my information compromised due to this. Now I see KentE saying a SSN was also required. I never gave my SSN to any MVNO. I would be concerned to say the least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40051 by mmfacemm

joeuser wrote: I'm a little confused about the CDMA (Sprint) accounts.
If the old Freedompop sold the CDMA (Sprint) accounts to Ting, then why would Red Pocket / new Freedompop have the user account information to allow CDMA (Sprint) customers to sign up with them?

From what I read Ting paid a good deal of money for these accounts, so wouldn't that contract prohibit Freedomp / Red Pocket from using the information which was sold to Ting? At a minimum, isn't there an ethical issue.

I really don't want to see my information compromised due to this. Now I see KentE saying a SSN was also required. I never gave my SSN to any MVNO. I would be concerned to say the least.

+1 I agree.

Not fair at all on Ting.

Plus asking for a SSN is a big red flag for an MVNO especially when it is prepaid.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40054 by KentE
Red Pocket seems to have a list of registered FP/CDMA email addresses, FP passwords, and owner names for FP/CDMA accounts, and not much else. (And I'm not sure how complete that is, since 3 of the 5 lines I checked couldn't be matched up.)

No CC info was pre-filled. No phone number was pre-filled. (I had to port from Ting to keep the same #, just like any port.)
The SSN requirement caught me by surprise.

I agree that it sounds unfair to Ting, although I don't know how the contract was written.

My interest in porting that FP/CDMA/Ting # back to Red Pocket/FP was primarily because it's a 'clean' number, and that plan because it's a good fit for the particular user. This one wouldn't have stayed at Ting in any case.