Time to Leave Unreal Mobile

• Chelle
  • Chelle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38765 by Chelle
My $10 plan has gradually worked its way up to almost $14.

They add another 97¢ per month for some kind of bonus program that I didn't sign up for and don't want.

It's the same lying, thieving management that runs FreedomPop.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo, Frasier1, D’yer_Mak’er, st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38767 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic Time to Leave Unreal Mobile
Tello FTW!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, mmfacemm, Diedrich_Duo

• Chelle
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38768 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Time to Leave Unreal Mobile

st3fx wrote: Tello FTW!

Agreed. I've already got 3 lines with Tello and moved a few little old ladies, that I help out, to Tello.

They're a first rate company and they have integrity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouP, Diedrich_Duo, Frasier1, st3fx

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38769 by Isamorph

Chelle wrote: My $10 plan has gradually worked its way up to almost $14.

They add another 97¢ per month for some kind of bonus program that I didn't sign up for and don't want.

It's the same lying, thieving management that runs FreedomPop.

I lucked out when I canceled my "Unreal" account 3 or 4 months ago(when only $10 incl. tax) and moved that phone to the FU $15 plan. Got out in the nick of time.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38770 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Time to Leave Unreal Mobile
Chelle, is this CDMA? If you don't have another FreedomPop/Unreal CDMA line, it might be worth holding it to see what Ting's offer is.

Again, the timing is strange, with a transition at hand. Hard to make sense of any increase/change other than as a cash grab.

• Chelle
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38771 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Time to Leave Unreal Mobile

KentE wrote: Chelle, is this CDMA? If you don't have another FreedomPop/Unreal CDMA line, it might be worth holding it to see what Ting's offer is.

Again, the timing is strange, with a transition at hand. Hard to make sense of any increase/change other than as a cash grab.

Yes, it's CDMA. They've actually been doing the 97 cents for several months, now. I bite my lip, each month, and swear I'll kick them to the curb.

I'll see what Ting offers and then get rid of it, if it's not something good.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #38783 by CharlieB

Chelle wrote: It's the same lying, thieving management that runs FreedomPop.

That's a real pity that a company chooses to operate that way.

Of course, as far as freedompop was concerned, it wasn't difficult to find reports of how easy it was to get charged unexpectedly. So at least when I opened accounts with them, I was fully aware of the risks and proceeded accordingly.

With some other cheap or free providers, it isn't always publicized how untrustworthy or shady they are, maybe because they weren't as big as freedompop.

But out of all the cheap or free providers, freedompop appears to have been somewhat successful and enduring so they must have gotten something right compared to the other thieves and despite the bad stories out there. I suppose there are simply enough people out there that want something for free that they get excited, forget that very little in life is truly free and don't evaluate, consider or look for all the risks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #38786 by mmfacemm

CharlieB wrote: But out of all the cheap or free providers, freedompop appears to have been somewhat successful and enduring so they must have gotten something right compared to the other thieves and despite the bad stories out there. I suppose there are simply enough people out there that want something for free that they get excited, forget that very little in life is truly free and don't evaluate, consider or look for all the risks.

Being first on the scene probably had a lot to do with it as well as being able to offer something free and appealing with the help of a truck load of venture capital financing and the goal to gain subscribers over making profits. So they had a clear advantage at the beginning. Data was expensive in the early days of freedompop too. My first device with them was a wimax one :lol:

As time progressed it appears that they were under more and more pressure to make profits and so were effectively "pushing" customers to paid services and gradually taking away the free stuff. When they had to operate as a proper business things weren't so good and we saw more and more shady practices come to light. And now here we are with them sold off. It was always headed in that trajectory because the financers would eventually want to exit and make a profit out of it.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38790 by CharlieB
It takes vision to be first on the scene and get financing that covers multi year losses while subscriber numbers are increased. It takes execution to deliver on getting those subscribers and having something of value to sell off at the end.

So as well as being skillful at being shady, they were skillful with several other important business aspects.

Seems possible that others who don't succeed are skillful at being shady and not skillful enough with other things.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38791 by mmfacemm

CharlieB wrote: It takes vision to be first on the scene and get financing that covers multi year losses while subscriber numbers are increased. It takes execution to deliver on getting those subscribers and having something of value to sell off at the end.

So as well as being skillful at being shady, they were skillful with several other important business aspects.

Seems possible that others who don't succeed are skillful at being shady and not skillful enough with other things.

Credit where credit is due but they
will still go down in history as freedompoop!
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21