Red Pocket buys FreedomPop

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #38131 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop

tech-stitch wrote: With all this mess, I am certain to close those two accounts with valid / active cards. Sure, they are LTE and maybe not impacted. Still, FP pulled one heck of a fast one to probably make their numbers look appealing. As far as the Sprint ones, same - cancel them and sell off the devices.

Yep, I don't know how they'd have 50k paying lines out of 150k... I think I would be generous to estimate 15k paying lines out of 150k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #38134 by phone_nerd
I was wondering why they didn't just move everybody over to Unreal Mobile and my question as been answered. Ting also purchased the Sprint customers from Unreal.
www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/06/red-pocket-mobile-acquires-freedompop.html

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #38135 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop

phone_nerd wrote: I was wondering why they didn't just move everybody over to Unreal Mobile and my question as been answered. Ting also purchased the Sprint customers from Unreal.

Agreed. But, that just moves the question one step further uphill. If STS Media (FreedomPop's owner) is serious about buying Boost, why would they offload their entire existing customer base instead of having Boost absorb them? (Especially the CDMA customers.) Any analysis of customer acquisition costs should indicate that customer acquisition would have approximately the same value to a New Boost as it does to Red Pocket or Ting, wouldn't it?.

Perhaps cash flow, needing to demonstrate to their Boost investors that it's not a bottomless pit, or because they need cash to finance their part of any consortium to purchase Boost.

Or perhaps because FreedomPop has deemed their own customers a poor fit for a more traditional prepaid business.

Or perhaps that STS Media is less serious, or less optimistic, about acquiring Boost, and is just taking the opportunity to cash out of FreedomPop/Unreal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zubrin

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #38137 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop
ting. My other line went there from ring plus. Now my FeedomPopped line. O the luck
And with a top up credit of $311.12

Attachments:

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38138 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop

KentE wrote:

phone_nerd wrote: I was wondering why they didn't just move everybody over to Unreal Mobile and my question as been answered. Ting also purchased the Sprint customers from Unreal.

Agreed. But, that just moves the question one step further uphill. If STS Media (FreedomPop's owner) is serious about buying Boost, why would they offload their entire existing customer base instead of having Boost absorb them? (Especially the CDMA customers.) Any analysis of customer acquisition costs should indicate that customer acquisition would have approximately the same value to a New Boost as it does to Red Pocket or Ting, wouldn't it?.

Perhaps cash flow, needing to demonstrate to their Boost investors that it's not a bottomless pit, or because they need cash to finance their part of any consortium to purchase Boost.

Or perhaps because FreedomPop has deemed their own customers a poor fit for a more traditional prepaid business.

Or perhaps that STS Media is less serious, or less optimistic, about acquiring Boost, and is just taking the opportunity to cash out of FreedomPop/Unreal.

My guess is that STS Media was going to buy Boost with their CellNUVO points and, now that that's looking doubtful, they had to sell FreedomPop to come up with the cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW, Zubrin, Chosen

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38139 by johnsmith

Mark wrote: No more ting. My other line went there from ring plus. Now my FeedomPopped line. O the luck
And with a top up credit of $311.12

I have to ask: $311.12 WTH???? please tell us the story behind that balance.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38141 by Chosen
Replied by Chosen on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop
My guess is that STS Media was going to buy Boost with their CellNUVO points and, now that that's looking doubtful, they had to sell FreedomPop to come up with the cash.[/quote]

LOL! Now that's funny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Zubrin

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38142 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop
Fpop had a couple deals where you pay $20 to $40 and they would give you extra top up money to cover you If you go over your allotment each month. Maybe ting will let me use it

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38143 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop

Mark wrote: Fpop had a couple deals where you pay $20 to $40 and they would give you extra top up money to cover you If you go over your allotment each month. Maybe ting will let me use it

Mark, was this the "data pack" offer? (or something similar to that name.) I've never heard from anyone who actually did this.

When it first popped up, there were lots of questions, and almost zero answers from FreedomPop about how this would work. Did you actually get a rollover credit that stayed in your account until used?
I was tempted, and probably would have jumped, if FreedomPop had ever confirmed that it would work that way instead of expiring at the end of the month.....

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #38144 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Red Pocket buys FreedomPop
Re: Top-Up, if I were you, I'd just use it up ASAP. I did not see anywhere in the release mention of any top-up transfers. I started canceling most of my lines... maybe just leave enough to allow transfer of 1 line per person. No point transferring multiple lines per person esp if the future is paid lines.