FreedomPop quietly moving some free Sprint plans to paid plans, unless opt-out

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 1 week ago #38119 by PEW

lexusl21 wrote: Now we know why they were moving free plans to paid with no permission.

Wanted to make it look to redpocket that they had more customers.

Shady

To Ting... only the CDMA lines were switched to paid status with no customer consent... right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 6 days ago #38247 by akaLTD
Not sure if FP will try this with the LTE SIM accounts but luckily, I was able to put a virtual cc # on one acct before FP disallowed that so cancelled that number.

The other 2 LTE accounts I put virtual cc #'s via PayPal on them & was able to cancel those in PayPal. So as long as FP doesn't try to get PayPal to use one of my other cc's on file they shouldn't be able to get any money from me without me knowing about it first.

Just got to hope FP doesn't notice there's no payment option on accounts before these sale transitions are complete & we know what's going to happen. I would like to keep one of those FP #'s I have but it's not critical if I lose it. Being without cell service would hurt a bit more but not real critical right now either since I mostly just use data & where I use it they usually have free wifi.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 5 days ago #38313 by PEW
This explains how FP CDMA was able to show 50k paid subscribers out of their 150k user lines... looks like both Ting and FP customers got scammed big time.

More
3 months 5 days ago #38322 by ZZWang
Thanks. It seems working for me. But with FP no one knows what is going to happen.

KentE wrote:

PEW wrote: Yep, no notification was given but the acct with $0 top-up was charged $20 top-up when I downgraded. No email was received regarding the change to a paid plan. I did receive email notification when I downgraded back to free plan.

I'm reading through Howard Forums & Reddit threads.....
It seems some have seen the $20 charge, and some haven't.....

So a couple of followup questions if you don't mind, PEW:
Had your account already been billed the $3.99, or did you catch it before the plan change took effect?

And, did you downgrade via the "Change Plan" route in the dashboard, or via the link that was included in the email that you should have received..... (but didn't).......

Just saw this HoFo post, with a response form Freedompop Support that the $20 topup charge can be avoided by downgrading via the link.....
www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1914042-Freedompop-quot-upgrading-quot-free-plan-to-paid-plan-CHECK-YOUR-EMAIL!!?p=17077275#post17077275

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 5 days ago #38325 by KentE

John thomas wrote: Will ting rp honor the plan that customers recently bought (freedom pop yearly plan). Government worried about tmobile sprint merger. Why don't they worry about the little man.

I'm assuming you have one of the yearly SIM plans: This will be Red Pocket, not Ting, as it's GSM I don't believe Red Pocket has released any information about their intentions. My best guess is that they will either honor it for the duration, or offer to move you to one of their similar yearly plans for the duration of your year. (But, it's just my guess.)

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 9 hours ago #38583 by KentE
If you haven't checked your FreedomPop/CDMA accounts in the last week or so, it's probably worth doing so again.

I checked mine yesterday (via the FreedomPop dashboard), and one of them was in the trial period for "Why Pay More? Phone 750MB" plan, slated for a $3.99 charge at my plan renewal on 7/1.

I checked carefully, and never received an email notice about this upgrade. From my dashboard home page, if I clicked on the bell/notification symbol in the top banner, the same notice that should have been emailed was there, including a link to return to the free plan. Clicking that returned me immediately to my free plan, and so far no evidence of a 'downgrade fee'.
My other CDMA lines don't show the upgrade, at least as of now.

$3.99 for 750 mb isn't a terrible deal. I might have been tempted to keep it, but for several things:
1) There's no indication that the offer is sanctioned by Ting, so we can assume that it's a FreedomPop cash grab for a rate that won't be honored by anyone past the end of the month. (Either a straight cash grab, or to inflate the number of 'paid' accounts that Ting is acquiring.)
2) By happenstance, this line is the one that makes the least sense for me paying anything for-- the phone is Android 4.01 (not supported by Google Play or a lot of apps), and is a dual-frequency phone missing one of the important Sprint LTE bands.

One of the strange things about this stealth upgrade is the timing. My line wouldn't have been charged until 7/1, which sounds like it's going to be after the Ting transition......so would the charge actually have been attempted?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
3 months 8 hours ago - 3 months 8 hours ago #38584 by tech-stitch
I tell you, the ethics and moral standards of many of those that are in leading roles making these decisions... a sad reality of the world today - no respect towards others yet respect is demanded.

Note, I understand that this is free service. Still, there is no justification for a change and thus a charge to an account without any notice to the user.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo