Unreal Mobile

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #27059 by PEW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #27077 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Unreal Mobile
If it's meant for post-merger, I would rather it ran on T-Mobile... otherwise, we will be switching SIM in a year or two.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #27079 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Unreal Mobile
Intriguing set of articles that leaves many questions unanswered. I still had to sign up for the beta invite to learn more, though. Thanks for the news & the links!

Although PrepaidPhoneNews interprets "real cellular" calling into the available info, it looks to me like it implies at least a VoIP component to enable calling on any device with the same number. Of course, FreedomPop already has most of that tech, and it could be combined with native cellular on the primary device.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #27091 by LiterallyUnlimited
Replied by LiterallyUnlimited on topic Unreal Mobile
I signed up for the beta, but I really hope FP's billing practices don't make it to Unreal. I'm still sour over the $12 FP more-or-less stole from me back when I had a global SIM. It's not even the amount of money that irks me, it's the fact that it was turn turn off Auto Pay and top-ups. I had to give them more money to give them less money.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #27093 by Hungry-Hog
Replied by Hungry-Hog on topic Unreal Mobile
Is this VoIP?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #27095 by KentE
from www.androidauthority.com/unreal-mobile-868336/

Unreal Mobile replies: " you “need a SIM for your primary phone, which uses a normal voice network, but Unreal Mobile virtualizes the number and leverages VoIP technology to enable the user to use the same number on multiple devices.” So, for example, a user could have a primary smartphone with a set phone number and SIM card, and then have a secondary phone, tablet, or computer that also has the same number associated with it."

From that, I interpret native cellular voice, plus a VoIP app to use on other devices.

There is also a picture of a phone app. That app appears to be a 'dashboard' app, and not a dialer or VoIP app. Of note is that it shows 2GB of LTE data (but I don't know if multiple tiers are available), and a icon marked "Earn and Share", which sounds like Freedompop's 'Friends' concept.
The link above includes a little info about the VPN, and indicates that self-throttling will be an option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hungry-Hog, woo_24, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 year 5 hours ago - 1 year 5 hours ago #27610 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic Unreal Mobile

PA345NH wrote: BYOD: www.unrealmobile.com/bring-your-own-phone

I am getting error: "The IMEI or MEID number you entered is already activated
For assistance, please call 855-486-7325"

ETA:
According to FAQ, $19.99 fee for BYOD activation and device must be LOCKED to Sprint.
* help.unrealmobile.com/discussion/9/already-have-a-phone-byod
* help.unrealmobile.com/discussion/11/what-is-a-locked-phone-byod-requirements

Very interesting! They charge a $19.95 fee to BYOD, and on that page they say your phone must not be active with any carrier... but on their separate porting page, they say you should NOT cancel your existing service if you want to port over your existing number. Perhaps that was just an oversight... or, did they move from "alpha" to "beta" too quickly?

On the plus side, $10 a month for unlimited voice and text and 1GB of data (with unlimited 2G afterwards) is quite a deal, especially if they actually offer decent-or-better customer service.

More
1 year 4 hours ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #27612 by KentE

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

ETA:
According to FAQ, $19.99 fee for BYOD activation and device must be LOCKED to Sprint.

Very interesting! They charge a $19.95 fee to BYOD, and on that same page they say your phone must not be active with any carrier... but on their separate BYOD section, they also say you should NOT cancel your existing service if you want to port over your existing number. Seems like a mixed mesage at best. Perhaps that was just an oversight... or, did they move from "alpha" to "beta" too quickly?
On the plus side, $10 a month for unlimited voice and text and 1GB of data (with unlimited 2G afterwards) is quite a deal, especially if they actually offer decent-or-better customer service.

Well, it is Sprint network, and these are standard rules for activation:
1) A number has to be active elsewhere to port;. (True for any carrier.)
2) A device cannot be active elsewhere {Edit to add: on the Sprint network] to be activated on (most) Sprint MVNOs. (I think this is true anywhere on the Sprint network, but Sprint Postpaid, and some MVNOs seem to be capable of handling it, likely via use of their own "house device" to enable the process through temporary ESN swaps.)

The BYOD device limitations do seem unusual. It appears to me that any limited-to-Sprint-network device would be eligible, and that no universal-unlocked phone OR DSU unlocked phone would be allowed. I'm guessing that this limitation is imposed by Sprint, however odd it seems, since it seems to indicate that the only acceptable phones would come from cannibalizing other Sprint providers......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 year 4 hours ago - 1 year 4 hours ago #27613 by KentE
this page
help.unrealmobile.com/discussion/43/how-calling-works
offers the first clear information I've seen that cellular voice/text is included.

I checked one device on the BYOD test page-- a Boost Huawei Union, locked to the Sprint Network (and not capable of being used on any other network), that has never been active anywhere but seems to have "aged out" of the FED/FEC check. It passes.
I'll try a few other phones later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 year 4 hours ago - 1 year 4 hours ago #27614 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic Unreal Mobile

KentE wrote:

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

ETA:

Very interesting! They charge a $19.95 fee to BYOD, and on that same page they say your phone must not be active with any carrier... but on their separate BYOD section, they also say you should NOT cancel your existing service if you want to port over your existing number. Seems like a mixed mesage at best. Perhaps that was just an oversight... or, did they move from "alpha" to "beta" too quickly?

Well, it is Sprint network, and these are standard rules for activation:
1) A number has to be active elsewhere to port;. (True for any carrier.)
2) A device cannot be active elsewhere to be activated on (most) Sprint MVNOs. (I think this is true anywhere on the Sprint network, but Sprint Postpaid, and some MVNOs seem to be capable of handling it, likely via use of their own "house device" to enable the process through temporary ESN swaps.)

The BYOD device limitations do seem unusual. It appears to me that any limited-to-Sprint-network device would be eligible, and that no universal-unlocked phone OR DSU unlocked phone would be allowed. I'm guessing that this limitation is imposed by Sprint, however odd it seems, since it seems to indicate that the only acceptable phones would come from cannibalizing other Sprint providers......

Good points, all, @Kent E! However, it does seem impossible bring my phone, currently on Twigby (a Sprint MVNO), over to Unreal due to their dual rules that you have to have current service to port your number, but your phone can't be active if you want to BYOD. Guess I was twice lucky before, when I was able to port from RingPlus to Ting, then from Ting to Twigby with no problems. So as far as Unreal is concerned, it seems I'm stuck in sort of a hypothetical catch-22 at this point unless I'm missing something. (And if I am, please feel free to guide me in the right direction!)

P.S. I have an unlocked Moto G4 with a Sprint SIM installed... might that be the problem?