Boost/Sprint 3G sunset coming soon?

More
9 months 2 days ago #33398 by KentE
Verizon also has the Kyocera Cadence, a more traditional (not Mil-Spec) flip phone, that retails for $120. No Sprint version yet, but as Sprint rolls out more VoLTE, there could be one.

It's not too hard to find used Kyocera Dura models, and they are affordable, if not cheap. The extreme build quality makes used ones a fairly safe bet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 days ago #33406 by joseph
This year I think we'll be seeing the release of new LTE based flip phones supporting VoLTE. Flip phones are still in demand in a certain market segment. And with the carriers moving away from 3G support there will be a demand for VoLTE flips. The above Alcatel is such an example.

I would assume they'll have stronger batteries to support the increased power required to support 4G networks.

More
9 months 4 hours ago #33486 by LiterallyUnlimited
From what I've gathered on this, the only affected devices are going to be WiMAX (which, if you're still using a WiMAX device in 2019, you really should upgrade) and older 2G or 3G-only phones, like 10-year-old Blackberrys or Palm Pres. I don't believe any device that has LTE connectivity is affected at this time.

See: www.sprint.com/en/support/account/oma-slot/devices.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph, st3fx

More
9 months 3 hours ago #33487 by KentE
Thanks, LiterallyUnlimited!
Unfortunately, for non-mainstream users, there are a lot of problem-solver devices on that list.
Most of the Kyocera Dura series, as well as the Sanyo (Kyocera) Pro 700 flip phone. (Probably other flips, too, that I don't recognize.)
Nearly all of the qwerty-keyboard phones, both slider and bar. (I've kept at least one of these activated as my outdoor jobsite phone.) At least one isn't on the list (the LG Mach), so maybe I can switch to that one.
Some of these are not surprising, since they were on the similar list for problematic PRL updates a couple of years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, st3fx

More
9 months 51 minutes ago #33490 by st3fx

LiterallyUnlimited wrote: From what I've gathered on this, the only affected devices are going to be WiMAX (which, if you're still using a WiMAX device in 2019, you really should upgrade) and older 2G or 3G-only phones, like 10-year-old Blackberrys or Palm Pres. I don't believe any device that has LTE connectivity is affected at this time.

I love my Kyocera DuraMax :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
9 months 23 minutes ago - 9 months 22 minutes ago #33492 by Isamorph
:(

st3fx wrote:

LiterallyUnlimited wrote: From what I've gathered on this, the only affected devices are going to be WiMAX (which, if you're still using a WiMAX device in 2019, you really should upgrade) and older 2G or 3G-only phones, like 10-year-old Blackberrys or Palm Pres. I don't believe any device that has LTE connectivity is affected at this time.

I love my Kyocera DuraMax :(

In the same vein, I love my Kyocera DuraXT and my very old mother in law loves her Kyocera DuraPlus. If Sprint drops 3G, then "Dura" has lost its meaning.:(
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #33704 by Isamorph
Here's a site that will be providing info on what MNVOs may be impacted by Sprint's present and future 3G shutdown. There's little reported at this point, but at least there is an attempt to get info.

nwida.org/were-hearing-from-other-mvnos

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #33705 by PEW
For Boom... :)

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #37243 by st3fx
Sonim XP3 rugged flip phone for sale on sprint.com.
www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-phones/sonim-xp3.html

According to specs, supports LTE. Uncertain about VoLTE.
www.sonimtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sonim_XP3_DataSheet_Sprint_2019.pdf

ETA: AMR-NB and AMR-WB audio codecs in specs, which may indicate support for VoLTE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE