Boost/Sprint 3G sunset coming soon?

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
More
4 months 1 week ago #33361 by LiterallyUnlimited
This does not surprise me at all. Realistically-speaking, there are probably very few as a percentage of actual Boost customers using 3G-only devices, and they'd be better suited towards an LTE or VoLTE device anyway. This will get rid of a lot of "backup backup" phones for Reddit and Nth phone junkies, but I think this is a necessary step as we move towards LTE as the "fallback" standard.

I wonder if VMU will have this problem, too.

Still no word from actual Sprint on this, but I'll be following this very closely for obvious reasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33364 by KentE
Well, they're not all 'backup' phones. There's a continuing demand (although small as a percentage of users) for both long-battery-life flip phones, and likely a smaller demand for qwerty phones and smaller-screen Android devices: and the existing stock of older devices makes up most of the options. Sprint, and to a lesser extent AT&T, seem to be the last refuge for these users. I do realize the move to LTE is inevitable.

LiterallyUnlimited, could you keep us posted if you hear more about how this might affect Sprint-network users outside of Boost?

Reading between the lines of the linked post, I had wondered if this was a similar situation to the demise of single-frequency Sprint-network phones, where frequency re-farming made it impossible for some phones/locations to receive PRL updates (or initial PRL provisioning.) ..... or if it's just because Boost has always preferred to limit the range of allowable devices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LiterallyUnlimited

More
4 months 1 week ago #33374 by joseph
From what I understand, there newer flip phone that support VoLTE, have a notably lesser battery life than the older flip phones.

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 1 week ago #33377 by PEW
That has been the case when LTE does came out... Battery life shorter when using LTE vs 3G.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33390 by st3fx

joseph wrote: From what I understand, there newer flip phone that support VoLTE, have a notably lesser battery life than the older flip phones.

Aside from Alcatel GO FLIP, is there currently any other Sprint flip phone that may support VoLTE?
www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-phones/alcatel-go-flip.html

More
4 months 1 week ago #33394 by Isamorph

st3fx wrote:

joseph wrote: From what I understand, there newer flip phone that support VoLTE, have a notably lesser battery life than the older flip phones.

Aside from Alcatel GO FLIP, is there currently any other Sprint flip phone that may support VoLTE?

This Kyocera has 4G and LTE, but I do not know about VoLTE.

www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-DuraXTP-E4281-Sprint-4G-LTE-Ultra-Rugged-Flip-Phone/163228014776?epid=548015356&hash=item260125d8b8:g:ffQAAOSwa~FcJpLL
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

More
4 months 1 week ago #33395 by st3fx

Isamorph wrote:

st3fx wrote:

This Kyocera has 4G and LTE, but I do not know about VoLTE.

www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-DuraXTP-E4281-Sprint-4G-LTE-Ultra-Rugged-Flip-Phone/163228014776?epid=548015356&hash=item260125d8b8:g:ffQAAOSwa~FcJpLL

Thanks. I don't see LTE listed in specs on Kyocera website: www.kyoceramobile.com/duraxtp/#specs

This Kyocera model ("candybar?") does have LTE in specs: www.kyoceramobile.com/duratr/

More
4 months 1 week ago #33396 by Isamorph
My bad for not seeing the false claims in the Ebay ad. The bar phone looks good, but at $325 from Sprint---no thanks. Perhaps a used one at a reasonable price can be had.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33397 by st3fx
Kyocera DuraXV LTE is available for Verizon, so perhaps Sprint variant will be available in the near future.
www.kyoceramobile.com/duraxv-lte/

"It's also powered by a 1,530 mAh battery, which should provide up to 7.7 hours of usage time or up to 18 days of standby time."
www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-launches-the-sturdy-overpriced-Kyocera-DuraXV-LTE-flip-phone_id98475

According to Phonearena.com specs, supports VoLTE:
www.phonearena.com/phones/Kyocera-DuraXV-LTE_id10714
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph