Verizon ending 3G?

More
1 year 1 month ago #28567 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Verizon ending 3G?

Chelle wrote: 3g hotspots are still worth buying until then, though. A $79 hotspot and 12 to 15 $5 payments is still cheap internet access before the 3g network gets decommissioned.


Seems like some sellers have figured out how to make those $5 hotspots into 4g unlimited ones for the same price...
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #28621 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Verizon ending 3G?

mmfacemm wrote:

Chelle wrote: 3g hotspots are still worth buying until then, though. A $79 hotspot and 12 to 15 $5 payments is still cheap internet access before the 3g network gets decommissioned.


Seems like some sellers have figured out how to make those $5 hotspots into 4g unlimited ones for the same price...


Please give me a link!
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #28628 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Verizon ending 3G?

Chelle wrote:

mmfacemm wrote:

Chelle wrote: 3g hotspots are still worth buying until then, though. A $79 hotspot and 12 to 15 $5 payments is still cheap internet access before the 3g network gets decommissioned.


Seems like some sellers have figured out how to make those $5 hotspots into 4g unlimited ones for the same price...


Please give me a link!


Replied in the other thread

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
8 months 1 week ago #33216 by PEW
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 months 1 week ago #39294 by PEW
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #39327 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Verizon ending 3G?

PEW wrote: MVNO getting ready too...

www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/07/us-mobile-now-offers-cdmaless-calling.html


I read the linked article several times, and it didn't make sense to me..... (US Mobile is definitely not the first MVNO to enable Verizon VoLTE.....).

This article
bestmvno.com/us-mobile/us-mobile-is-the-first-mvno-to-offer-cdmaless-calling-and-texting-on-americas-most-reliable-4g-lte-network/
does a better job of explaining what this is about, and what US Mobile is "first" among MVNO's for.

Basically, all (?) Verizon MVNO's already had VoLTE. What they didn't have was a way to disable legacy CDMA, and Verizon's backend wanted to force phones to CDMA for text. Problematic for some of the non-CDMA phones that Verizon has been willing to activate because they are VoLTE capable.

So to me it doesn't sound so much like US Mobile is really doing anything here-- Verizon is just enabling a route to fix a problem that they created and dropped in MVNO's laps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #39328 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Verizon ending 3G?

KentE wrote:

PEW wrote: MVNO getting ready too...

www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/07/us-mobile-now-offers-cdmaless-calling.html


I read the linked article several times, and it didn't make sense to me..... (US Mobile is definitely not the first MVNO to enable Verizon VoLTE.....).

This article
bestmvno.com/us-mobile/us-mobile-is-the-first-mvno-to-offer-cdmaless-calling-and-texting-on-americas-most-reliable-4g-lte-network/
does a better job of explaining what this is about, and what US Mobile is "first" among MVNO's for.

Basically, all (?) Verizon MVNO's already had VoLTE. What they didn't have was a way to disable legacy CDMA, and Verizon's backend wanted to force phones to CDMA for text. Problematic for some of the non-CDMA phones that Verizon has been willing to activate because they are VoLTE capable.

So to me it doesn't sound so much like US Mobile is really doing anything here-- Verizon is just enabling a route to fix a problem that they created and dropped in MVNO's laps.


Yes until now these phones like the oneplus 6T wouldn't work properly with a verizon MVNO. Verizon hadn't given anyone the ability to add cdma_less to mvno lines which was a feature you could get on verizon postpaid to avoid routing texts over cdma. I don't think there were that many phones with this problem but it is at least good to know there is at least one verizon mvno that you can use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #39861 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Verizon ending 3G?
www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/07/verizon-wireless-to-retire-cdma-network.html

"In addition to this, Verizon will be moving all devices to its HD Voice LTE network starting January 1, 2021. This means that Verizon CDMA network will only be available until December 31, 2020. Service requests for CDMA devices will not receive limited support."

... so what WILL these customers receive?!? No support? Superior support?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.