Sprint Free Year Promo End Date

More
4 months 5 hours ago #33668 by Isamorph

jamielih wrote: So when the promotion ends, I have to wait 45 (or 90?) days, then I can go back for more if plan is still available?

What is Sprint checking when I try at 45 days? My ss#? My IMEI? My phone number?

If Sprint is only checking the phone number, then presumably, I can go back within a few days with same ss# & IMEI, but different phone number?

From the SD promo. Scroll down the page to get to the "Wiki".

"Note 2: For new customers only. If u are a current customer (with any other Sprint plan) , you will be considered a new customer again ONLY AFTER closing your current account for 45 days (note: there are reports of some people getting back in before the 45 days. [it is not guaranteed. but u can try, simply call the above 866 number at say day 30. explain ur current carrier is not good signal and u want to come back, it may work or it may not but doesn't hurt to try]

if u are current customer u can :
step 1 port out the number
step 2
a. wait 45 days and port back into sprint. this assumes the promotion is still going on.
b. port back into sprint but have spouse, friend , relative be account holder (new customer requirement with a new social security number)"

"1: How can you get a 2nd year free?

since is for new customers u must port out the number.
step 2
a. wait 45 days and port back into sprint. this assumes the promotion is still going on.
b. port back into sprint but have spouse, friend , relative be account holder (new customer requirement with a new social security number)"

slickdeals.net/f/10235008-sprint-byod-1-year-unlimited-talk-text-data-free-w-eligible-device-sim-req

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 5 hours ago - 4 months 5 hours ago #33670 by jamielih
I saw that on slickdeals.net, but under the "How can you get a 2nd year free?" I am baffled by the recommendation (requirement?) that you port out your Sprint number only to port the same number back in.

What if I don't port out? What if I just port in a new number 45 days later instead of my original Sprint number from 46 days ago? I assume Sprint wouldn't care either way. Or do they?

Because if they do care about only the number (and not the SSN or IMEI) AND does not require that I port my Sprint number out then port in 45 days later, then I'll just port in a new number a few days after my promotion expires...

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 4 hours ago #33672 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Sprint Free Year Promo End Date
The SD recommendation is only if you want to retain the same number... for me, ported out to Mint for the 90 day promo, then will port back into Sprint.

If you want to just port in a diff # the next day, you just need to get a family/friend to open a brand new acct.

More
4 months 4 hours ago - 4 months 4 hours ago #33673 by Isamorph

jamielih wrote: I saw that on slickdeals.net, but under the "How can you get a 2nd year free?" I am baffled by the recommendation (requirement?) that you port out your Sprint number only to port the same number back in.

What if I don't port out? What if I just port in a new number 45 days later instead of my original Sprint number from 46 days ago? I assume Sprint wouldn't care either way. Or do they?

Because if they do care about only the number (and not the SSN or IMEI) AND does not require that I port my Sprint number out then port in 45 days later, then I'll just port in a new number a few days after my promotion expires...

The wiki language is sometimes vague, for it doesn't say, as far as I can see, to port the same number back in, but just to port back into Sprint, while failing to say with a new eligible #. Further down in the Wiki it mentions getting a new number to port from numberbarn, buying a new digital sim T Mobile number, etc.

"1: How can you get a 2nd year free?

since is for new customers u must port out the number.
step 2
b. port back into sprint but have spouse, friend , relative be account holder (new customer requirement with a new social security number)

below are details for step 1.

Order the cheap digital T-Mobile SIM Card from eBay

this or similar [ebay.com]

Edit: Here's info on keeping the same number that one ports from Sprint. A new SS# seems to be what is necessary for 2nd year if using same phone.

"If you have another SSN to deal with (e.g. if you and your spouse share a plan), you can port out your Sprint number to another carrier, then immediately port it back in under the new SSN. Easiest way is to buy a T-Mobile starter kit and port the number out to T-Mobile."

www.doctorofcredit.com/sprint-unlimited-how-to-get-a-second-year-of-free-cellular-service/

More
4 months 1 hour ago #33680 by KentE
Sprint doesn't care if the number has been with Sprint before, as long as it's not with Sprint when you port it in.
Sprint doesn't care if the phone has been with Sprint before, or how recently, or whether it's been anywhere else since last leaving Sprint.

You don't have to port the current Sprint numbers out, as long as you make sure the account is cancelled, and let the numbers die with the account. But, there have been some claims that it might take longer than 45 days for the account records to age out if you don't port out-- so the same SSN might not be eligible again in 45 days if you are counting on that.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 1 hour ago - 4 months 1 hour ago #33682 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Sprint Free Year Promo End Date
Does having no active line = canceled?

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #33689 by KentE

PEW wrote: Does having no active line = canceled?

Not definitive in any way-- but the tips I've seen indicate that if one simply cancels payment, and lets the numbers fade away, Sprint may hold the account open in "hibernated" mode for some period, either as a courtesy or just because there is no action required to close it.
Some recommend calling Sprint and requesting the account be closed if you go this way.

Most reports seem to think that actually porting out all the numbers will change the account to cancelled/closed status immediately without further action.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #33690 by Zubrin
1. You must port out all Sprint lines, then wait for 45 days. You account still exists in Sprint system and you can access online account. When you call to get in again, the agent will help you to close out the first account and create a second account with the same SSN.
2. If you use a different SSN to create a new account, you can port out your current Sprint number to T-Mobile prepaid $3 plan and port in to the new Sprint account in the same day.
Source: I had the 1st scenario myself, and I helped a friend to complete the 2nd scenario last week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33813 by Myon
Which is the best place to park my number during that 45 days?
Thanks!

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33815 by st3fx

Myon wrote: Which is the best place to park my number during that 45 days?
Thanks!

Parking only or do you have usage requirements? I've seen Mint Mobile mentioned a few times for this purpose (Thanks @PEW).